High count - disregard BS?

I was playing with a friend the other night, and the TC was at 4. Now, I had K, 3 and the dealer had a 9. I knew the deck was rich with high cards, so I was confused whether to hit or not. What would you have done? Should you always follow BS? If not, when do I push it aside?

Yes, I hit and lost the hand. :sad:

LeonShuffle

Most (if not all) counting systems have certain deviations from basic strategy at different counts. They are referred to as indeces. For instance: with a TC of +1 you may stand on a 16 vs 10. Or with a TC of +4 you may take insurance. These are all included in whatever system you're using. There could be anywhere from a couple to high double digits. They're important, but much more so in single and double deck games than in shoes, where bet spread is most important. If it's Hi-Lo you're using, there may be an index for 13 vs 9 but it must be pretty damn high. You were right to hit.

LeonShuffle said:
If it's Hi-Lo you're using, there may be an index for 13 vs 9 but it must be pretty damn high. You were right to hit.
There is no meaningful index for 13 v. 9. MuddyT, don't deviate from BS untill you either learn the top20 indices -or- switch to a "count-factored" BS. zg

E-town-guy

Since the count is high its probably a lose lose situation, i.e. you'll get 23 or the dealer will get 19. Nonetheless you still should hit your hand. I'm guessing that since there is no index # for 13 vs 9 the index number would be over 10.

E-town-guy said:
Since the count is high its probably a lose lose situation, i.e. you'll get 23 or the dealer will get 19. Nonetheless you still should hit your hand. I'm guessing that since there is no index # for 13 vs 9 the index number would be over 10.
Index departure for dealer 9 kicks in at player 14 at about +10 HiLo, same for 13 v 10. And knowing and utilizing those #s mean next to nothing to your counter +EV. zg