HiLo players. How many indices do you have memorized?

BJLFS

I counted mine up and it came out to 27. BTW I know that all you have to memorize is 21 for a H17 game. Just wondering though.

21forme

60 or so. Most of them were not due to conscious effort. If one comes up in play that I don't know, I look it up when I get home and then it becomes 61. And so on.

BJLFS

21forme said:
60 or so. Most of them were not due to conscious effort. If one comes up in play that I don't know, I look it up when I get home and then it becomes 61. And so on.
I have heard that memorizing 21 (?) of them will give you 95% of the playing situations.

Lonesome Gambler

I use 46 for H17 games and 43 for S17. I'm not sure how much of the gain from indices that captures, but I'm pretty comfortable with it, although I tend to add more on every once in a while.

metronome

Wow gentleman, how often, if ever, does one "review" all these indices.
Guess i need to re-read the illustrious 18.... or maybe now the golden 200:eek:
Really, is it like phone numbers are to me ( I have hundreds related to my business in my head ) or is it "action related." ?
Thanks in advance

Southpaw

metronome said:
Really, is it like phone numbers are to me ( I have hundreds related to my business in my head ) or is it "action related." ?
Thanks in advance
It stands to reason that indices are a bit more important in pitch games. Also, in Snyder's cookbook, he advocates learning all of them, as he claims they are much more important for trackers.

I personally use something like 90 or so.

I believe that for a 4-deck game Snyder showed that the I18 capture 80% of the possible advantage. So, for 6-8 decks, you are getting more than 80%, but for pitch games you'd get a little bit less than this.

This is just my opinion, but I think it is a total waste of one's effort to learn multiple sets of indices.

SP

bigplayer

metronome said:
Thanks in advance
Some of the less frequent ones start to get a bit fuzzy so I generally do a quick refresh via CV's flashcard drill program at the start of each trip when I first arrive at my hotel. Just the hard doubles, hit/stands, and surrender for high-low +6 to -4 is not an insignificant number and I'm not a young whipper snapper anymore.

BJgenius007

BJLFS said:
I counted mine up and it came out to 27. BTW I know that all you have to memorize is 21 for a H17 game. Just wondering though.
Besides the illustrious 18, I think people should memorize these indexes based on importance: (I do)

12-16 vs. upcard 2-6. (Because ploppies make all kinds of moves on these stick hands, anything you do won't alert the suits. Also make you look like ploppie.)

double 10, 11 vs. upcard 10, ace.

double 5 (2&3), 6 (2&4), 7, 8 vs. upcard 2 - 6 (when true count is really high, this is your money making machine that most people overlook).

16 vs. upcard 8,9,10 (very handy when true count is high and you have your max bet).
15 vs. upcard 9,10
14 vs. upcard 10

BJLFS

BJgenius007 said:
Besides the illustrious 18, I think people should memorize these indexes based on importance: (I do)

12-16 vs. upcard 2-6. (Because ploppies make all kinds of moves on these stick hands, anything you do won't alert the suits. Also make you look like ploppie.)
Especially on DD when the count is low. They might see it as ploppie behavior.

double 10, 11 vs. upcard 10, ace.

double 5 (2&3), 6 (2&4), 7, 8 vs. upcard 2 - 6 (when true count is really high, this is your money making machine that most people overlook).

16 vs. upcard 8,9,10 (very handy when true count is high and you have your max bet).
15 vs. upcard 9,10
14 vs. upcard 10
This especially becomes true when you're at a DD game. The counts can go all over the place.

Renzey

How Many Indices do you have Memorized?

BJLFS said:
I counted mine up and it came out to 27.
Back in the day before home blackjack analysis software, I learned 80 indices, most of which I still remember. Since then and after running many sims, I find that for the shoe game, using any more than about 35 yields next to nothing extra.
That doesn't include Surrender, and it's not using Hi/Lo, but rather Halves with a PE of 56%. Perhaps with higher PE systems like Zen or Mentor (PE's in the low 60's), more indices might help a bit more.
Can't say about DD, but you'd probably want a greater number of them, particularly the negative TC plays, since you're pretty much "playing all", and there's not such a great disparity between your max and min bets.

Last edited:

yesiamred

bigplayer said:
I use one set for all decks, the variations for h17 vs s17. All told a total of 88 different index numbers.
Over 200 which also includes one set for all decks, the variations for h17 vs
s17, including surrender and splitting pairs with DAS and splitting pairs no DAS. But in agreement that some are not needed or ever used. Just nice to know them in case.

sagefr0g

fuzzy

zengrifter said:
Catch that, KewlJason? z:laugh:g
well, at least he a'int fuzzy counting yet, lol.
just the I-18 for me and i might of forgotten a few of them.
just tryin to knock down an advantage here and there anyway in my senior moment.:p