How good is Don's Domain?

john

Hey, is anyone a member of Don's Domain over at that other website? I just wondered if it is as good as some people say it is. I just wonder what could possibly be said that could make you that much of a better player. I got problem with paying to be a member of a forum. I want an unbiased opinion.

The Mayor

You can click on the "preview" option on their site and get an idea about the frequence of posts and the subject matter.

I was a member for about 3 weeks before I dropped it.

--Mayor

Tom

Why a member for only 3 weeks? The membership last 3 months.

I tried it for 3 months,not much traffic there, but my questions were answered very clearly. That's more than what i can say about the free pages, where if I ask an intelligent question or make a good comment, it seems to be ignored. However, if anyone makes a dumb post,they get answers right up the #ss.

Tom

Here's the deal...

Free is good. Let's get that out of the way. There are good "free" sites, and this is one of them.

Paying is also good, when value is => cost. This can be subjective, but usually not. An illstration:Linux is excellent software, and in most cases, "free." Windows XP Pro is excellent (objective opinion here) software, and is clearly "NOT" free. Depending on what the use is for, and how productive you expect to be, will and should be your determining factor in which choice will be more beneficial to you. For example, the cost of re-training a workgroup to navigate linux, after this group is already proficient with windows must be taken into consideration, as well as the expected future enhanced productivity. A very hard task to accomplish and companies wrestle with this quandry quarterly, if not daily.

Contrast this to knowledge. Specifically BJ/math/expertise and the corresponding access to this knowledge. My guess is that if you're a counter, you became one first through the purchase of a book (cost) that required learning (cost in time) and then put into production (cost and expected return), which = ROI (return on investment).

Now to the original (and not forgotten) question.

I would venture that some of the real benefits to GC (bj21) lies in the "ACCESS" to the people that are willing to provide knowledge/expertise for "free" (cost savings).

Think about this for a second. Successful counters place large amounts of money on the line with extremely low advantages, so that every ounce of edge that can be squeezed is taken advantage of. Shouldn't that be your approach as well?

How many companies, as well as individuals, subscribe to trade publications? Now, if all the people at GC, or DD frequently visited and shared their expertise at free sites like this one, then no, there would be no need to pay as you're already getting all the benefits with no cost.

However, if you're serious about extracting every ounce of advantage to increase your edge and positive expectation, then it's a no brainer.

I visit this site (thanks Mayor) as often as the ones I pay for, for that very same reason. You never know where you'll learn something new or extra. It's the price I pay. Now, if cost is a larger issue, and it can be (all new counters are really unsure if this really works despite their protestations to the contrary) then learn all you can for free, but at some point, you'll have to start taking advance courses, and we all know that doesn't come for free.

cheers
bfb

suicyco maniac

I agree....

There is not a lot of traffic but my questions are usually very promply answered and there are many great posts in the archives as well as the archived chats. like most of the books I have read if I learn just one thing from it it is worth the price....SM

Rob McGarvey

Nice Guys are Free

You might find that when you get on a free board and ask questions like which is the best count etc, you will not hear much from the true experts. You can make contact with some exceptional BJ players that are on every board out there, paid or not. Most of these guys are great guys and are just as likely to answer a private message from you as long as you are serious and don't expect them to become your email buddy. You don't ask Einstein how to add 2+2, so don't ask lame questions to the experts. Cut your teeth here or on any free board, gather some big name emails for your collection, and treat your mentors with respect and courtesy and you will be surprised how much amazing information is only an email away.