How to clear a crowded table

gothic

hmmm

I'd say tell bad (not too offensive though) jokes, talk to players that look like they're not there to chat and things like that will help clear a table, since you'd be able to play with distractions anyway at this point. Maybe go on about some voodoo strategy (betting or playing-wise) that makes no sense to even the most superstitious of ploppies, thus driving people away... and the garlic.

kewljason

I don't play crowded conditions, so I am not speaking from experience on this topic, but I would think just somthing as mild as mumbling to yourself or an occasional bizarre comment, like "the lord lucifer ate the baby's feet again" would do the trick. In general, people are usually very uncomfortable in the presence of what they perceive as someone, mentally unstable and will usually seek greener pastures.

gothic

kewljason said:
I don't play crowded conditions, so I am not speaking from experience on this topic, but I would think just somthing as mild as mumbling to yourself or an occasional bizarre comment, like "the lord lucifer ate the baby's feet again" would do the trick. In general, people are usually very uncomfortable in the presence of what they perceive as someone, mentally unstable and will usually seek greener pastures.
Ha ha, you might want to watch carefully any ploppies who seem unbothered by such comments :laugh:

Shoofly

kewljason said:
Be particularly careful of the person that invites you to a meeting.

BJgenius007

MetaEdge said:
Came up with a good, but probably expensive, way to clear a table out to allow for some heads up play.

Not sure if this would work, sit at third base and start making the dumbest moves ever. Pretty much play the complete opposite of what the average player thinks is BS. Then act like you know what your doing.

Once everyone leaves then start playing correctly.

Not sure if this would act like cover, or the complete opposite though xD
I like to double my 6 against 5 then split tens against 5 or 6 as soon as possible better while the pit boss still watching. After the two moves, there are always some people leaving.

First, you make the table less crowded. Most of times are the people beside you. Thus you don't have to chit chat with some ploppy who either needs advice or come to the table for "social". And second, later when you split 10's (this time the true count is +4 or above), the pit boss just thinks the moron did it again.

FLASH1296

The problem playing on graveyard shift, when it is uncrowded, is that with so few players you are always under surveillance.

The best camo' that I have ever seen is employed by an old friend, who is recognized as one of the best tournament backgammon in the world.
A very high I.Q. and very considerable wealth, this is what he would do using the Halves Count with all of the original published indices.

He would sit down at a table, preferably empty or sparsely attended, with TWO bottles of wine; uncork them and drink both within the first hour.

Whenever he hit a hand he would tilt his head back and close his eyes and move his lips
as if he was in supplication to the goddesses of 21; then he would reach up as high as he
could and drop his hand like a carpenter with a plumb line.

Whenever, he won a hand (yes, every hand won) he would throw both his hands straight up and yell "Yahoo" and TOAST the dealer !

Whenever he lost a hand (yes, every hand lost) he would use both hands and wave them at the chips that he was set to bet next, using the classic warding off of the "evil eye" ('bull's horns' of the 2nd and 5th fingers extended).

The kicker here is that my long-timefriend was a fine actor (and U. S. Olympic Figure Skater) and never worked a day in his life,
having come of age with a tidy Trust Fund, later augmented by several million dollars bequeathed to him.

He played to prove to me, his spouse, and his friends that he was just soooo bright. He was. I never saw him have a losing session, and I must have witnessed between 15 and 20 sessions over the course of several years.

OH. I didn't forgot to mention. He would only bet Red with an enormous spread, but looked so drunk and psychotic
that nobody would play at the same table and the pit critters would steer a wide berth around him.

Last edited:
MetaEdge said:
Came up with a good, but probably expensive, way to clear a table out to allow for some heads up play.

Not sure if this would work, sit at third base and start making the dumbest moves ever. Pretty much play the complete opposite of what the average player thinks is BS. Then act like you know what your doing.

Once everyone leaves then start playing correctly.

Not sure if this would act like cover, or the complete opposite though xD
There is a far more effective method - Pickled eggs and beer - wait 1 hour and stir- or rather play. Should be heads up in a matter of minutes

BJLFS

Freightman said:
There is a far more effective method - Pickled eggs and beer - wait 1 hour and stir- or rather play. Should be heads up in a matter of minutes
Don't forget Taco Bell too. Then let them rip!!! :laugh: