I do NOT know where to post this ...

FLASH1296

… as the mailboxes I need to respond to are FULL.

BoardSupport said:
Dear, Dog Hand;km703;DB1;FLASH1296;Paradox!

A virus alert was noticed on your computer.
We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: (Dead link: http://securitytool2010.com/Dog) Hand;km703;DB1;FLASH1296;Paradox
If you do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).
----------------------------------------------------
Forum Administration http://www.blackjackinfo.com.
I am on a brand new Mac, a 27" Quad Core iMac.
It is possible for a Mac to harbor a virus, even though it cannot be infected.

I am running a very thorough (current) virus check right now.

I have just updated my virus "definitions" I will be surprosed if you are not seeing a "false positive" result.

Updated to Clam AV 0.95.3/10427/Sun/Feb 21 20:5143\\:45 2010

Last edited:

UncrownedKing

I believe the thread in the site announcements address this message as spam and advise that you simply delete it.

I hope you didn't click the link...

FLASH1296

This was some kind of malicious crud that came through my P.M.s

I tool a lot of screenshots to document it.

Caveat: ignore directions to go to:

securitytool2010.com/online-scanner

Last edited by a moderator:

QFIT

Macs can be infected by viruses just as can PCs. In fact, they are easier to hack according to the people that win the hacking contests.

FLASH1296

QFit, while I respect your knowledge in general, you are mistaken on the issue of Mac Viruses.

There are NO mac viruses in the wild. They exist in theory only.

Incidentally, while I have done only a little computer consulting I have been a Mac power-user since 1985; and I was, for two years, the Prez. of the nation's oldest Apple-chartered "M.U.G." [Mac Users Group] I do have some credibility.

Last edited:

FLASH1296

Thunder,

That was in years gone bye; before the advent of OS X (which is unix based) prior to 2001 or 2002.

Current OS is 10.6.2

FLASH1296

Yes, I clicked the link after doing my own Virus Scan.

The link puts up phony graphics indicating that I am running Windows and identifying drives and folders that are absent and claiming that I have swarms of virus infected files.

I TERMINATED the connection the instant that I saw it was transferring an obvious virus .exe file to my hard drive, without asking permission.

mdw

This came today. This is the second odd thing I have gotten recently. The other was a PM. I have forwarded both on to Ken.

Subject: New Private Message at Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

Dear mdw, You have received a new private message at Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com from BoardSupport, entitled "Warning! Next time we will have to complaint to your ISP.". To read the message, you must log in here: (Dead link: http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/private.php) Thanks for your participation, Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

There was no PM when I checked. I did not click on the link.

FLASH1296

QFIT,

The link that you posted is of no value.
The poster is a S/W developer who sells virus check software, ["MacScan"],
He has a vested interest in convincing people that non-existent dangers exist.

QFIT

FLASH1296 said:
QFIT,

The link that you posted is of no value.
The poster is a developer who sells virus check software, ["MacScan"],
and so has a vested interest in convincing people that non-existent dangers exist.
How about the iWorkServices or OSX.RSPlug Trojans? The studies that I've seen in ComputerWorld say that OS X is no harder to compromise than Windows. In fact last year, they said the Mac was more vulnerable. It's just that their user base is so much smaller than Windows that the hackers concentrate on PCs.

daddybo

Macs have alawys been as vulnerable as Winders Machines.. but as Qfit said it makes more sense for virus writers to attack the denser winders population. BTW.. If youy need some Mac viruses.. I've got 'em archived from the early '80s... :)

Nynefingers

mdw said:
This came today. This is the second odd thing I have gotten recently. The other was a PM. I have forwarded both on to Ken.

Subject: New Private Message at Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

Dear mdw, You have received a new private message at Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com from BoardSupport, entitled "Warning! Next time we will have to complaint to your ISP.". To read the message, you must log in here: (Dead link: http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/private.php) Thanks for your participation, Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

There was no PM when I checked. I did not click on the link.
I'd be willing to bet that you got the PM sent out by the spammer dudes, and got the associated email alert. Then, before you had time to check it, the mods banned the guy and deleted the PMs.