Illustrious XX

Theef

Is there a source for the most profitable indices beyond the first (Illustrious) eighteen?

I'm pretty sure I can memorize and employ more than just eighteen indices. In the past I tried memorizing every Hi-Lo index between -3 and +6, which is about sixty if I recall. I was able to recall those from memory but found myself pausing at the table every so often. I'd like to try somewhere in the neighborhood of forty indices. I'd like to pick the first forty indices from a list ordered by profitability.

The Mayor

I-XX and beyond.

Certainly the next two to add are: 8 vs. 6 and 8 vs. 5.

Here are the ones I know beyond the I-18.

A,2 vs 4, 5
A,3 vs 4, 5
A,4 vs 3, 4
A,5 vs 3, 4
A,6 vs 2, 3
A,7 vs 2, T
A,8 vs 4, 5, 6

8 vs. 4, 5, 6
9 vs. 3
13 vs. 3
14 vs. T

Surrender indices:
17 vs. A
16 vs. 8, 9
15 vs. 9, T, A
14 vs. T, A
13 vs. T

I think there may be a splitting index or two that should be on this list, but I don't recall what those are.

--Mayor

10 vs. 9, 33 vs. 2, surrender 88 vs.10

These are in addition to the more important ones the Mayor mentioned, I like the 99 vs. A myself because it makes me look like a real fool even to Basic Strategy players.

Just one thing about adding extra plays is that for the positive DD and split ones you had better use risk-adverse indices, otherwise you increase your standard deviation faster than you increase your win rate and they actually drag the desirability of the game down. The negative DD and split plays increase the desirability even if they don't increase your win rate because they decrease your standard deviation by reducing the amount of money you put on the table. The surrender indices can all be used because they reduce standard deviation with or without changing win rate, and the obscure hit/stand plays do neither but make you look like an erratic player.

a few others

Some further index plays to be considered are:
dbl 9 vs 7
split 22 vs 8
split 99 vs 7 (0)
dbl A7 vs 2 (+1 or better)
dbl 8 vs 4 (a rather high index number)

The Mayor

Some further index plays to be considered are:
*dbl 9 vs 7
That's an I-18 play.

*dbl A7 vs 2 (+1 or better)
*dbl 8 vs 4 (a rather high index number)
I listed both of these.

Splitting 2-2 vs. 8 and 9-9 vs. 7 are worth a cup of coffee over your lifetime.

--Mayor

CanKen

9,9vs7

An index of 0 for splitting 9's vs 7 seems very low. My sources give +3 for DAS, and +6 for NDAS. I'm using the other plays mentioned, except 2,2vs8.