Is this bad AP Etiquette?

Is jumping in to another counter's table when they increase their bet bad ettiquete?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

MrFatCat

Yeah not only does it increase heat, but if you're not actually counting also, how are you going to know they're not just a ploppy gambling it up?

DoubleOnHard20

DSchles said:
Read BJA3, "Long Memories," bottom of page 5 to top of page 6.

Don
You know that you are allowed to summarize it. It's not illegal to paraphrase a section of a book. It's pretty rude to tell someone to read a book that they may not even have just to answer one question.

BoSox

DoubleOnHard20 said:
You know that you are allowed to summarize it. It's not illegal to paraphrase a section of a book. It's pretty rude to tell someone to read a book that they may not even have just to answer one question.
You are talking to a guy who may reach a thousand dollars yearly in book sales royalties. You want him to give the information away? Why don't you write a book and give out all the answers to people who do not purchase it? Don, sorry I could not pass this one up.;)

DSchles

DoubleOnHard20 said:
I didn't tell you to read it. It's clear that you don't read books that, God forbid, you actually have to (gulp!) pay for. I told you where you could find a discussion on the subject, as I've done, oh, maybe 10,000 times in my life.

Your attitude is perplexing. You come here as a newcomer, and you do nothing but lecture the well-established members, some of whom have been playing this game for more years than you're on this earth, and then you express disappointment when no one wants to help you.

In short, you need an attitude adjustment, and continuing in the same manner is unlikely to win you any friends or get you the answers you're looking for. I'd end with, "a word to the wise, ..." but we already know what's wrong with that premise!

Don

DoubleOnHard20

BoSox said:
You are talking to a guy who may reach a thousand dollars yearly in book sales royalties. You want him to give the information away? Why don't you write a book and give out all the answers to people who do not purchase it? Don, sorry I could not pass this one up.;)
I never said I wanted the guy who wrote the book to give information away for free. I said I wanted DSches to summarize what's relevant to the question. He could even quote the section and not paraphrase, like xengrifter said. Neither of which are illegal.

You can buy the book if you think the information is valuable. I don't think anyone would buy a book just to read one section that answers a question they have. Summarizing a section isn't going to deter people from buying the book. If anything, it will let people know more about the information that the book can provide and lead to more people purchasing it.

Again, it's not illegal to summarize a book or paraphrase sections.

DSchles said:
I didn't tell you to read it. It's clear that you don't read books that, God forbid, you actually have to (gulp!) pay for. I told you where you could find a discussion on the subject, as I've done, oh, maybe 10,000 times in my life.
Don
Quit exaggerating. You've only posted 372 messages in this forum. Stop acting like you've been more helpful just because you've been here longer. Indices are not protected under copyright laws. If they were, then Stanford Wong broke copyright laws to get full indices for Hi-Lo because he didn't invent Hi-Lo.
DSchles said:
Your attitude is perplexing. You come here as a newcomer, and you do nothing but lecture the well-established members, some of whom have been playing this game for more years than you're on this earth, and then you express disappointment when no one wants to help you.
Don
What makes you think I've done nothing but lecture the well-established members? I've provided indices (which are not protected by copyright laws) to others and asked for more indices so I could share them. Maybe you should learn what intellectual property is before you say what is copyright infringement and what isn't.
DSchles said:
In short, you need an attitude adjustment, and continuing in the same manner is unlikely to win you any friends or get you the answers you're looking for. I'd end with, "a word to the wise, ..." but we already know what's wrong with that premise!
Don
In short, you should paraphrase relevant sections of books to answer questions instead of telling others to read the book. Literally, paraphrase it to answer the question in short. It would be more helpful because I doubt many people purchased a book that you told them to just to read one section and answer a question they had. If they were already interested in the book, then you summarizing a section to answer their question, and then recommending the book would increase the chances of them buying the book.

BoSox

DoubleOnHard20 said:
I don't think anyone would buy a book just to read one section that answers a question they have.
I can honestly say that I would buy a book if just one page of the book answered my question correctly like Don S books that literally answer thousands of questions.

KewlJ

Just stop it doubleonhard20!!

That number of posts is on THIS forum I presume. But Don has been participating on many venues throughout the community helping and teaching players, myself included for a very long time. Most of us that have recorded any success in blackjack know we are more knowledgeable and our game is stronger because Don Schlesinger is around. I strongly object to your comments of someone most of us hold in such high regard.

As far as his book: one of only a few that has stood the test of time and changing blackjack conditions. Worth 100x it's price. And the fact that Don is available for any follow-up....as the commercial goes..."priceless". Don't ruin that for everyone else by being a dick!

KewlJ said:
Just stop it doubleonhard20!!

That number of posts is on THIS forum I presume. But Don has been participating on many venues throughout the community helping and teaching players, myself included for a very long time. Most of us that have recorded any success in blackjack know we are more knowledgeable and our game is stronger because Don Schlesinger is around. I strongly object to your comments of someone most of us hold in such high regard.
He's profiting off of your ignorance that indices cannot be protected under copyright law. Buy his books if you're interested in what the rest of what the books have to offer, but no one should have to pay for a book or software just to get full indices.

Obviously Don would support anyone that agrees with his position about what intellectual property is. One of the main reasons for purchasing blackjack books is to get full indices.

KewlJ

Yeah he is profiting alright. For the few dollars he makes a year vs the time he spends answering questions and helping us all, he is probably earning himself 2-3 cents per hour. :eek:

KewlJ said:
Yeah he is profiting alright. For the few dollars he makes a year vs the time he spends answering questions and helping us all, he is probably earning himself 2-3 cents per hour. :eek:
Telling someone to read a book you wrote doesn't count as answering a question.

KewlJ

DoubleOnHard20 said:
Telling someone to read a book you wrote doesn't count as answering a question.
I disagree. Ever heard "give a man a fish and he eats for a day, but teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime?"

Don teaches players "to fish" by directing them to not only where the answer is but usually accompanying math, discussion, ancedotes.

KewlJ said:
I disagree. Ever heard "give a man a fish and he eats for a day, but teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime?"

Don teaches players "to fish" by directing them to not only where the answer is but usually accompanying math, discussion, ancedotes.
He's making people pay him to teach them how to fish when you can learn how to fish for free.

Indices are not protected under copyright law. It's math and can't be claimed as intellectual property.

Clearly there are people who can think for themselves on this forum such as Doubleonhard20, and then there are others who follow the masses the scholars and the so called experts, i agree fully with Double, shouldn't have to pay for something because cause someone tells/recommends you to we all have freedom of thought and choices and i decide to think for myself and not follow the elite masses/experts =)

johndoe

Look, whether there is a legal barrier to posting indicies is very different than whether it's polite to do so or not. Legally, sure, it's probably not copyrightable. But really, just go and buy the book already. It's worth it.