Keeping track of win/loss and playtime

Hello all. First time post.

I have been playing for a little while, BS and HiLo, with success. I am at the point where I would like to keep track of things.
Obviously winning/losing but do I track that against play time, real time, or maybe shoes played.
Guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Counting_Is_Fun

Burnitdown said:
Hello all. First time post.

I have been playing for a little while, BS and HiLo, with success. I am at the point where I would like to keep track of things.
Obviously winning/losing but do I track that against play time, real time, or maybe shoes played.
Thanks!
My first question would be, do use any deviations?

MrFatCat

I personally just track win/loss, hours, spread, and game rules. I make a note if anything particularly noteworthy occurs...such as a backoff, mostly.

I believe ideal would be knowing the exact number of rounds you played, and I mean, if possible, your theoretical advantage/disadvantage on each round played. The granularity would let you calculate EV more precisely. Doesn't seem realistic to me, though.

Midwest Player said:
What does this have to do with the question he asked?
Because I am trying to help the guy, instead of just a forum troll like you.
Do you think BS and HiLo is a winning strategy for today's games? With no deviations?
Yeah I guess you probably do. Maybe that is why you still play red chips after like 40 years.

Last edited:
Burnitdown said:
Obviously winning/losing but do I track that against play time, real time, or maybe shoes played.Guidance would be appreciated.
Play time.
There are a couple of good apps or programs for poker players that adjust well to card counting.

xengrifter said:
He just needs to switch to count-weighted BS...
... No deviations necessary.
It's basically the same thing. Even with CBS, you still need some deviations. You will never be a winning player without using some sort of at least Illustrious 18 or deviations etc. This player has just been lucky thus far.

BoSox

Counting_Is_Fun said:
You will never be a winning player without using some sort of at least Illustrious 18 or deviations etc. This player has just been lucky thus far.
CIF, the player right now playing just the way he is by using basic strategy and varying his bets with the count is already playing a winning strategy (of course depending upon his spread). Playing against the standard Benchmark Rules someone using a one to ten spread (burnitdown did not say what his spread is) already captures 87% of all the gain that is obtainable from someone who is using all three options basic strategy, bet variations, and strategy deviations. You constantly complain at BJTF about ZeeBabar's errors in what he says, you should be careful too.

Burnitdown said:
I am at the point where I would like to keep track of things.
Thanks!
At this point in time, you are overlooking an important part of the training. You want as much as you can get from that other 13% that is obtainable by also using strategy deviations., don't you? The most important deviations are based on the frequency of occurrence and also by the size of your bets when a deviation is needed. The top three deviations by a matter of importance is when to take insurance, 16 v 10, and 15 v 10. I have a good idea for you (if you have not already done so) is to purchase BLACKJACK ATTACK 3rd Edition by Don Schlesinger. Simply stated it is a great book and a learning tool, and reference for all the important and relevant questions players may encounter.

Last edited:
BoSox said:
CIF, the player right now playing just the way he is by using basic strategy and varying his bets with the count is already playing a winning strategy (of course depending upon his spread). Playing against the standard Benchmark Rules someone using a one to ten spread (burnitdown did not say what his spread is) already captures 87% of all the gain that is obtainable from someone who is using all three options basic strategy, bet variations, and strategy deviations. You constantly complain at BJTF about ZeeBabar's errors in what he says, you should be careful too.

At this point in time, you are overlooking an important part of the training. You want as much as you can get from that other 13% that is obtainable by also using strategy deviations., don't you? The most important deviations are based on the frequency of occurrence and also by the size of your bets when a deviation is needed. The top three deviations by a matter of importance is when to take insurance, 16 v 10, and 15 v 10. I have a good idea for you (if you have not already done so) is to purchase BLACKJACK ATTACK 3rd Edition by Don Schlesinger. Simply stated it is a great book and a learning tool, and reference for all the important and relevant questions players may encounter.
Ha yes, point taken. But my original point was to help the guy realize some of those other things.
He never mentioned his spread, or even if the games are good rules or not etc. Heck we don't even know if he is spreading at all.
So we are all speculating whether he is playing a winning game or not. Thus my point was to make him give some more info before we reply to his other question.

Thanks for the input. Didn’t mean to start an argument.
I am only using an insurance index at this point. I am not to the point where I feel I can accurately use all (or 18) indices.
I practiced BS for several months and HL for several months thereafter to perfect those.

For the record I am spreading 16-1 and playing the best game available to me (-0.5%). I have not actually hit a 16x bet though.

I did drop $2000 on my initial BR of $10,000 but now I’m positive $1150.

I will grab a copy of BJA and keep track of playtime and other items you all have mentioned.

Burnitdown said:
Thanks for the input. Didn’t mean to start an argument.
I am only using an insurance index at this point. I am not to the point where I feel I can accurately use all (or 18) indices.
I practiced BS for several months and HL for several months thereafter to perfect those.

For the record I am spreading 16-1 and playing the best game available to me (-0.5%). I have not actually hit a 16x bet though.

I did drop $2000 on my initial BR of $10,000 but now I’m positive $1150.

I will grab a copy of BJA and keep track of playtime and other items you all have mentioned.
Ok sounds good. And yes, it takes some time to realistically get comfortable and accurate using indices.
It sounds like you have a good understanding, so just add another index as you get more comfortable....good variance, cheers!