Learn basic strategy and start losing?

RJMNYC

After my recent win in AC I have been preparing for my trip to Miami and San Juan by learning proper basic strategy. Like anyone else, I want to improve my game. So far, two people that have seen me win consistently for years have asked why I am doing this. They tell me that if I change my playing style I will end up playing like everyone else and that I will lose just as often. I know what statistics and probability say but if my game has worked for this long, and I have done things like sometimes split tens and sometimes stand when I have 16 against a dealer's ten, and I have won, then should I change it? Remember, I have been playing for 10 years and winning almost all of the time. Does anyone else deviate from basic strategy and win on a regular basis?

bjcount

All counters deviate from BS when the indices call for it.

I guess you have two options:

1) If it aint broke don't fix it or

2) Wait for SD to raise it's ugly head and not understand why your losing.

Either way you go, keep kickin their butts :whip: and good luck....:devil:

BJC

Last edited:

hawkeye

"I have been playing for 10 years and winning almost all of the time"

Then you are easily a millionaire many times over and you should care little what we say, right?

Liar.

RJMNYC

I'm not sure why you came off this way, you sound pretty angry with your accusations. Maybe you have practiced basic strategy, count cards, and do everything else to win, but it does not come easy for you so you cannot see it happening for someone else and you are basically bitter over it. If you got your panties in a bunch over an Internet forum posting then you got troubles. Here's something for ya....and good luck at the tables.

Attachments

UK-21

Nice to see such a healthy respect for people with disabilities. I wonder what the US contingent taking part in the para-olympics would have to say on the matter?

EasyRhino

The Special Olympics.

The Para Olympics would be if we were making fun of people amputees. I think that was in a different thread.

RJMNYC said:
After my recent win in AC I have been preparing for my trip to Miami and San Juan by learning proper basic strategy. Like anyone else, I want to improve my game. So far, two people that have seen me win consistently for years have asked why I am doing this. They tell me that if I change my playing style I will end up playing like everyone else and that I will lose just as often. I know what statistics and probability say but if my game has worked for this long, and I have done things like sometimes split tens and sometimes stand when I have 16 against a dealer's ten, and I have won, then should I change it? Remember, I have been playing for 10 years and winning almost all of the time. Does anyone else deviate from basic strategy and win on a regular basis?
Learn and use BS and see what happens when you play against a lower housEdge. zg

Cardcounter

BS is still a losing game!

Let me remind you that if you play perfect basic stragedy that you are still playing a losing game. Yes you will cut down on the house edge of an average player of say 2% down to about a .5% some games will be a little bit over that and others a little bit under that. If you are playing a game that has a house edge of .5% than you will lose one bet for every two hundred that you make. Plus I know a lot of players who think they are playing it by the book and they are right 90%-95% of the time but the time that they don't play it by the book they make big errors like staying on 16 vs a 7 or failing to hit soft 17 or forgetting to split their 9's, 2's 3's and 7's properly.

Sonny

RJMNYC said:
I know what statistics and probability say but if my game has worked for this long, and I have won, then should I change it?
That’s up to you. It’s your money and it’s your decision. But if you want to know the right decision, learn basic strategy. If you really want to improve your game then you need to correct your mistakes and play each hand properly.

If you suddenly realized that you were driving the wrong way on the highway, would you tell yourself that everything is fine since you haven’t had an accident yet?

-Sonny-

Or look at it this way. For the past 10 years of you playing winning blackjack the "magic fates" let you win by playing the way that you have. Now these same fates have directed you towards this website and learning BS. The magic mojo you had working for you before has sent you here and all signs point to learn basic strategy!

However you want to see it....BS is the way to go!

RJMNYC

Thanks for your input. It makes much more sense to me now. I had the wrong idea about BS, I thought BS would limit my options and force me to play the same way all the time. I realize that there are times when it is okay to deviate from BS, something I did by luck and feel, and now something that I can learn to do with some level of accuracy. I also like the idea that majic mojo has sent me here. LOL, I think that's great. Of course it did, otherwise why would I be here?? This is the next step.

BJCOUNT
"All counters deviate from BS when the indices call for it."

Sir Counts-A-Lot
"The magic mojo you had working for you before has sent you here and all signs point to learn basic strategy!"