Learning indexs...

ycming

This makes me gets frustrated ..... while I can count well ... but learning the index I find it hard to have it in memory or like a second nature.

What I am aiming is to have the index is my head like I have BS.

Is this possible? How do people go about practising ?

Thanks
Ming

tezzadiver

ycming said:
This makes me gets frustrated ..... while I can count well ... but learning the index I find it hard to have it in memory or like a second nature.

Thanks
Ming
Well you probably know this- But flashcards worked for me. I just take a card- write the true count on front with various index plays to the back.

Handy for travelling too....

How many index plays are you memorising?

Xenophon

Use Hi-Lo lite count per half decks remaining, or Hi-Lo count per decks remaining with rounded indices. It's been known for quite some time that rounding indices properly doesn't affect performance materially.

All indices for Hi-Lo lite are +-2,4, and 0. Hi-Lo and RPC (count per half decks remaining) also perform well with rounded indices to +-4,8, and 0, with the one exception being 12 vs. 3 at +2, sims a bit better.

If you do this it becomes much easier to memorize many indices. For example with Hi-Lo lite 12 vs. 3,4,5,6 (S17) are 0. 13 vs. 2,3 are 0. 16 vs. 9, 15 vs. 10 are 2, etc...

Becomes much easier to recall the index. Just thinking 0,+-2 and occasionally +-4.

Last edited:

ycming

About 16 of them...

This rounding seems interesting! I'll compile something tonight for the zen and would be good to get some feedback from it!

Thanks
Ming

ycming

Hey peeps,

This is what i came up with:

(Dead link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/qh9dk7hoyfb9wzm/zen%20indicies%20%280%20to%2012%29%20v2.xls)

Can someone have a look?

Thanks
Ming

Xenophon

ycming said:
Hey peeps,

This is what i came up with:

(Dead link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/qh9dk7hoyfb9wzm/zen%20indicies%20%280%20to%2012%29%20v2.xls)

Can someone have a look?

Thanks
Ming
The numbers you have on the spreadsheet do not look rounded to me. I'm not sure what a good step would be for Zen - 0, 5, 10, 15 might be a good place to start. The best way to figure it out is with CVCX. You can sim and tweak the numbers.

If I remember correctly Kevin Blackwood's book Playing Blackjack Like the Pros has rounded indices for Hi-Opt II that can also be used for Zen.

I study from the raw chart of hand match ups, a chart of hand match ups at different TCs and the most useful for actually playing a chart of indices for different dealer up cards. The latter chart allows you to think about what indices might be applicable after seeing the dealer up card but before your hand is complete. You are now 1 step quicker in remembering your index in an actual game. I believe in adding every last bit of advantage to the small edge a counter has. Exact integer indices for each match up. I am not lazy and it is worth the effort since your marginal edge is so thin to begin with. We win or lose based on what happens at the higher counts. You should strive for as perfect a play as you can get in these high counts. Your profitability depends on it.

yesiamred

ycming said:

Thanks
Ming
I use flashcards, flashcards on my Android phone, print off blank excel index tables and write in the blanks. Also, made an audio of the indeces for my ipod and burned to a cd to use in the car while taveling. I take a couple of decks of cards and call out the index numbers as I play against the mock dealers hand. Try sleeping with them under your pillow...hell it couldn't hurt!

Besides hi-lo I am adding a two level system to my game plans and god I hope there will be minimum index numbers to learn.:cry:

Coyote

yesiamred said:
I use flashcards, flashcards on my Android phone, print off blank excel index tables and write in the blanks. Also, made an audio of the indeces for my ipod and burned to a cd to use in the car while taveling. I take a couple of decks of cards and call out the index numbers as I play against the mock dealers hand. Try sleeping with them under your pillow...hell it couldn't hurt!

Besides hi-lo I am adding a two level system to my game plans and god I hope there will be minimum index numbers to learn.:cry:
Those are some really good suggestions for added learning! :cool:

ycming

Xenophon said:
The numbers you have on the spreadsheet do not look rounded to me. I'm not sure what a good step would be for Zen - 0, 5, 10, 15 might be a good place to start. The best way to figure it out is with CVCX. You can sim and tweak the numbers.

If I remember correctly Kevin Blackwood's book Playing Blackjack Like the Pros has rounded indices for Hi-Opt II that can also be used for Zen.
Sorry guys, I have uploaded the wrong file that is the non-rounded version, the following is the rounded indicies.

(Dead link: http://www.mediafire.com/?4w9f4llzza7g15e)

I will have a look at that book if i can find it!

Thanks
Ming

ycming said:
With zen ???? at TC+5 ?

IIRC, hi-lo is at TC +4? so for zen it seems a bit low?

Ming
Aces counted as 1/2 the value of HILO relative to the ten, much better correlation = lower index. Insurance index for an ace neutral level 2, HIOPT II, is +4. It has an even better correlation than Zen. People are just to Sim dependent these days. Get out your pencil and paper and do some hand calculation of indices every once in a while. You will learn a lot about why indices "behave" the way they do from count to count.

Last edited: