Memory Technique for Basic Strategy

Mikeaber

This PEG method reminds me of memory techniques that were taught in "Dale Carnegie". It was a required course in a Management Training program I was in back in the 70's. He taught "hooks" by the numbers. One=Sun, Two=Shoe, Three=Tree. etc. You "hung" the things you wanted to remember on these hooks. I think it was good for up to twenty or twenty-five "items" but was best used for things like "lists" (groceries or other shopping lists). He had another method called "stacks". With the stack method, the bounds were virtually limitless for the number of items. You had to visualize the item as something animated and utterly ridiculous. I remember that the example used in the class was the solar system. Mercury was a huge purple poka-dot convertible. The famous status with missing arms was sitting in the car representing Venus. She was balancing a globe (Earth) on her head.

These might not be suitable for remembering "basic strategy" but I'm quite sure the process of visualizations were the same.

tribute

Memorization Techniques

I simply used repitition, online practice, and real play time to memorize basic strategy. You do something you really like, over and over again, then it becomes automatic. The basic strategy charts and simulated games on this site were all I used.