Modern Blackjack Second Edition

Katweezel

QFIT said:
I wonder if HST ever saw it. In the movie, he stays on the Strip. In the book, he stays downtown at The Mint, the tallest building in LV at the time. The dialog you included, supposedly, took place in room 1850.
HST died Feb 20 2005, so he had plenty of time to see it since it was made in 1999. I had no idea you were a fan... I guess by your detailed memory of his 1971 book it might have had some impact on your inner ah, being at the time. (I know it did irreparable damage to mine.) :grin: The random HST quotes from the film gave me a better than good laugh. This guy could write quality stuff you don't see much these days!

This HST quote I reckon he wrote about himself:

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant nut of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live and too rare to die."

RIP HST (with his ether. :eek:) :grin:

FLASH1296

Katweezel,

When I read … "Raoul Duke: [commenting on the song "One Toke Over the Line" playing on the radio] One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats."

It was in the mid 1960's and I was deep into one of the craziest trips ever. I was mind-raped by a homosexual, whose advances I had rebuffed; and was dosed with the rare psychedelic — "S.T.P." … 2,5,dimethoxy4,methylamphetamine. I was wondering around the deserted streets of a small town in Florida in the wee hrs. and the hallucinations were intense, and they included bats, rats, U.F.O.'s, etc.

The strongest hallucinogen ever created (by the C.I.A. no less) The half-life is approx. a WEEK ! Not only does it leave you completely utterly psychotic for a day (not < 4 hrs. like L.S.D.-25 or the 20 mins. like di-metrhyl triptamine or diethjyl triptamine, etc. etc.) but a full 24 hrs. at minimum, and absurdly high with residual hallucinations for a week.

Anyway, I digress.

The hordes of hallucinated (giant) bats following me around were a particularly interesting memory of that week !

NOTE: hallucinogens only produce visual hallucinations in massive doses. They generally generate what is more correctly termed "ILLUSIONS" — which is to say that the "visions" are merely colorful, translucent, and/or not-quite-real. With S.T.P. there are actual concrete hallucinations, completely indistinguishable from reality.

Last edited:
Random Modern Blackjack question for the exec

I am new to the forums after ending up here because of "Modern Blackjack".
I realize that you put a link up earlier here but the link is dead (at least on my computer).

Is the link supposed to go to a continuously readable document of the book?

I am an avid reader and have began playing Blackjack only earlier this month.

PS...for my purposes I have copy and pasted the online version of the book at least up to page 200+ in a word document. Not for sharing purposes but just saying, it's just hard to format it straight

Modern Blackjack

I would if I could. I am not from the US and I do not own a credit card. I recently asked a friend to assist in ordering some poker books and the time they take to reach plus the cost would determine that decision.

Are the TWO essential to purchase together??

Also, what is the consensus on Dravot's "The Colour of Blackjack" for true-counting KO?

I'm searching for a system and have narrowed it down to REKO, TKO, Felt, HiLo and Hi Opt 2

qfit and downtime

It is not responding to me either for a few hours now. It was working this evening though but it's still 'down' for me :(
Concerning Modern Blackjack you are in the correct place be it for the books or random questions especially counting systems.

Must Own

I was on the fence about getting the second edition, but I found the astounding complexity of the book only surpassed by the simplistic and practical presentation of what the data means to someone who wants to truly understand the nuances of counting and some additional advanced play. Someone else said that this is better than BJA and I have to say its at least as important.

I love how QFIT acts like everything he does is no big deal.

Sorry if that was confusing. What I meant was the information that was analyzed was very complex. The presentation of the results and what they mean practically for a player was surprising simplistic and easy to read. I think we are in agreement. :)

QFIT

There is a Kindle version of Volume 1. Volume 2 has too many tables that are difficult to convert. Kindle is better at novels than technical books. Nook is much, much worse.