National Blackjack day

KewlJ

Happy National Blackjack Day to all, (march 2).

Can't say I ever heard of National Blackjack Day until I saw a mention on the local news tonight. Blackjack has been a huge part of my life, so I am on board with a National Blackjack Day. March 2 (3/2) was picked to bring awareness to the 6:5 games in that real blackjack is supposed to be 3:2, and I am on board with that.

March 2 (2004) was also the last day I worked for someone else.

KewlJ said:

Can't say I ever heard of National Blackjack Day until I saw a mention on the local news tonight. Blackjack has been a huge part of my life, so I am on board with a National Blackjack Day. March 2 (3/2) was picked to bring awareness to the 6:5 games in that real blackjack is supposed to be 3:2, and I am on board with that.

i have a question for ya, how did you go in atlantic city gaming houses and count cards week after week and not get caught? most say they can detect counters within 15minutes, so how did you yank coin out of the gaming houses each month? my next question is how did you survive off 8$ an hour still pay food/rent and other bills id imagine and still able to tuck away for bigger game? i havent begun my questions LOL but my strongest question is would you have an easier time if your parents or grand parents "LOANED" you 20 thousand or 40 thou and able to ditch those yucky 8 decker crowded tables?

KewlJ

newcomer12345 said:
i have a question for ya, how did you go in atlantic city gaming houses and count cards week after week and not get caught? most say they can detect counters within 15minutes, so how did you yank coin out of the gaming houses each month? my next question is how did you survive off 8$ an hour still pay food/rent and other bills id imagine and still able to tuck away for bigger game? i havent begun my questions LOL but my strongest question is would you have an easier time if your parents or grand parents "LOANED" you 20 thousand or 40 thou and able to ditch those yucky 8 decker crowded tables?
Ok so Atlantic City can not bar, ban or backoff card counters like most other places can. What they can do is things like reduce penetration to unplayable levels like 50% and bet restrict players, not flat bet (at least when I played there) but bet restrict like $5-$50, even on games that are much higher limits. So for the most part they reserved these for counters playing higher limits and just ignored the red chippers. At least back when I played AC, which was 2004-2009. Now once I built my BR up some and began betting green, I immediately drew these counter measures, (reduced penetration and bet restrictions). That is when I knew it was time to move on from AC. :(

As for how did I live off $8 an hour, and I wasn't even making that when I started. I was 21 at the time (actually started my career at age 20 with fake ID). I lived in a cheap apartment and had a roommate to share expenses. I skimped at everything for a couple years. Put off buying new cloths. Literally survived on Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches and Mac and Cheese. Every dollar I could manage to not spend was a dollar towards BR. ;) And it still took about 3 years until my BR had grown to the point that I could bet even a little bit more.

So you final question, would I have been better if someone had "loaned" me a bigger BR? Well I wasn't in a position where that was an option, but I have given thought to others that might be and have two schools of thought:. Playing low limit is very valuable. It is where you learn the game and gain experience. Think minor leagues in baseball. But on the other hand, some of us burn out our name and face playing low limit and when it comes time to play bigger stakes have already worn out our welcome. So that can be a problem. I don't know the answer and probably is different answers for different players based on their situation.

But I will tell you that 5 years ago, when my younger brother graduated from college and moved to Las Vegas and wanted to pursue blackjack card counting, I decided to bankroll him, BUT I started him at that same red chip level that I first played and he played that for a year in Las Vegas before moving up in stakes. It's a really good path to learn and gain experience.

newcomer12345 said:
i have a question for ya...
Now we have a question for ya ...
... Tell us a little background on ya, what level do you play at, what strategy, how you got started, any other aliases we might know on the internet ...
... inquiring minds want to know!

xengrifter said:
Now we have a question for ya ...
... Tell us a little background on ya, what level do you play at, what strategy, how you got started, any other aliases we might know on the internet ...
... inquiring minds want to know!
just been a reader on this site for many many years, watched alot of different names come and go, i don't play BJ, too many horror stories of losing 50 max bets followed by shuffled in 50% every time, what good is card counting if they can spot you in 15min flat and shuffle the deck on you 1/2 thru?
i play poker

newcomer12345 said:
just been a reader on this site for many many years, watched alot of different names come and go, i don't play BJ, too many horror stories of losing 50 max bets followed by shuffled in 50% every time, what good is card counting if they can spot you in 15min flat and shuffle the deck on you 1/2 thru?
i play poker
Poker has much greater variance then blackjack. If you did play blackjack, what would be your betting level? Top bet?

What is your poker alias at two plus two?

KewlJ said:
Ok so Atlantic City can not bar, ban or backoff card counters like most other places can. What they can do is things like reduce penetration to unplayable levels like 50% and bet restrict players, not flat bet (at least when I played there) but bet restrict like $5-$50, even on games that are much higher limits. So for the most part they reserved these for counters playing higher limits and just ignored the red chippers. At least back when I played AC, which was 2004-2009. Now once I built my BR up some and began betting green, I immediately drew these counter measures, (reduced penetration and bet restrictions). That is when I knew it was time to move on from AC. :(

As for how did I live off $8 an hour, and I wasn't even making that when I started. I was 21 at the time (actually started my career at age 20 with fake ID). I lived in a cheap apartment and had a roommate to share expenses. I skimped at everything for a couple years. Put off buying new cloths. Literally survived on Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches and Mac and Cheese. Every dollar I could manage to not spend was a dollar towards BR. ;) And it still took about 3 years until my BR had grown to the point that I could bet even a little bit more.

So you final question, would I have been better if someone had "loaned" me a bigger BR? Well I wasn't in a position where that was an option, but I have given thought to others that might be and have two schools of thought:. Playing low limit is very valuable. It is where you learn the game and gain experience. Think minor leagues in baseball. But on the other hand, some of us burn out our name and face playing low limit and when it comes time to play bigger stakes have already worn out our welcome. So that can be a problem. I don't know the answer and probably is different answers for different players based on their situation.

But I will tell you that 5 years ago, when my younger brother graduated from college and moved to Las Vegas and wanted to pursue blackjack card counting, I decided to bankroll him, BUT I started him at that same red chip level that I first played and he played that for a year in Las Vegas before moving up in stakes. It's a really good path to learn and gain experience.
KewlJ said:

If I may ask, what level of RoR do you advise for a person that has a small replenishing BR. I've read most comments that the ideal RoR = 1000 unites( which equals a 1% RoR). But I guess that also includes the question of what portion of units I'd take to each session.

LuckyStars said:
If I may ask, what level of RoR do you advise for a person that has a small replenishing BR. I've read most comments that the ideal RoR = 1000 unites( which equals a 1% RoR). But I guess that also includes the question of what portion of units I'd take to each session.
In a decent rules 6 deck game, I believe $5,000 bank roll w/ (1-12???) bet spread gets you around 2% RoR & $10/hr

https://www.blackjackapprenticeship.com/recommended-blackjack-bankroll/

bank-roll-jpg.9131

There's great things that work in theory.
In theory I can be making $200 + / hr very easily with a low N0 but in practice it will never happen because I will get backed off in an hour or two. There's some things that look great on paper but just don't work in the real world.

JohnCrover said:
There's great things that work in theory.
In theory I can be making $200 + / hr very easily with a low N0 but in practice it will never happen because I will get backed off in an hour or two. There's some things that look great on paper but just don't work in the real world.
My friend & I are about to go in together to get CVCX....up till now I have been doing my best to get information free...but, yeah, I agree on the CVCX

seriously? I've never heard about it before