Need help with Indices

Recently, I have been learning the Zen Count as it is presented in Arnold Snyder's BBIBJ. I had been practicing using Hi-Lo with the Illustrious 18 indices.

I have CVBJ for practice purposes, and when I set my strategy in the settings I am offered the Basic Zen Count, Complete Zen Count, and '98 Zen Count. When I compare the strategy indices in my book to the display table in the software, only the '98 Zen Count seems remotely close.

I assume this is because Snyder uses the "True Edge" conversion in the book?

In this case, the True Edge = Running Count / (Half Decks remaining * 4)

My questions are:

1. Should I be using the True Edge indices in the book? If not, what should I use?
2. Why are there different strategies in the CVBJ software?
3. Which strategy setting should I have it on?

Previously, I had been practicing Hi-Lo with Illustrious 18 indices. Those also differed from the indices in BBIBJ...

This ZEN TE is Snyder's ONE FOLLY (everyone is entitled).
The '98 version and TC per deck method is better for today's games.
Better yet - get Renzey's Bluebook and learn the 2DTC method and recalc the 98 ZEN indices to 2DTC (x2)
Or also would work is take the TE ZEN indices and multiply them x8 to achieve a nicely rounded 2DTC ZEN version. zg

Ps - Or one more idea - just learn Renzey's Mentor count INSTEAD!
Pss - the TE vs TC issue is about "count granularity" for accurate betting - higher multiple of decks per TC equals increased betting accuracy.

Last edited:
zengrifter said:
This ZEN TE is Snyder's ONE FOLLY (everyone is entitled).
The '98 version and TC per deck method is better for today's games.
Better yet - get Renzey's Bluebook and learn the 2DTC method and recalc the 98 ZEN indices to 2DTC (x2)
Or also would work is take the TE ZEN indices and multiply them x8 to achieve a nicely rounded 2DTC ZEN version. zg

Ps - Or one more idea - just learn Renzey's Mentor count INSTEAD!
Pss - the TE vs TC issue is about "count granularity" for accurate betting - higher multiple of decks per TC equals increased betting accuracy.
Thanks. My next question is how to spread using the TC rather than the True Edge since BBIBJ only discusses spreads with the True Edge. I know there are multiple considerations to be taken, but let's say I spread 1-10. At what True Counts would I adjust for each spread?

FLASH1296

The answer to what your optimal spread ought to be depends on multiple factors:

• Level of Penetration
  • The rules in effect
  • Risk of Ruin (partially bankroll size dependent]
For a typical (good) shoe game, using ZEN, bet the True Count + 1 in units (minimum bets)