new career help

Nynefingers

BJgenius007 said:
Did I say he can do it in overnight? I just plot a career path for anyone who wants an AP career. Starting from playing $5 shoe game spreading $5 to $75 correlated to True Count, which implies he needs to learn counting. I recommend Hi Lo counting system for new AP.
I didn't mean to imply that you did. After my first sentence, I was done talking about your post. To your credit, you did tell him his goal was unrealistic, and you did recommend a BR of around 100 max bets. Hi lo is also fine. Other than that, your post was horribly flawed. You have a terrible understanding of Kelly betting.

To the others recommending a level 2 count, I don't disagree that a level 2 count done accurately will make somewhat more money than a level 1. However, I also don't think it is necessary. This is been debated endlessly and I don't want to reopen that discussion, but I think a level 1 count is perfectly fine, especially for a beginner. Also if true count conversion is really that big of a deal, there are perfectly acceptable unbalanced counts that eliminate that step.

Nynefingers said:
I didn't mean to imply that you did. After my first sentence, I was done talking about your post. To your credit, you did tell him his goal was unrealistic, and you did recommend a BR of around 100 max bets. Hi lo is also fine. Other than that, your post was horribly flawed. You have a terrible understanding of Kelly betting.

To the others recommending a level 2 count, I don't disagree that a level 2 count done accurately will make somewhat more money than a level 1. However, I also don't think it is necessary. This is been debated endlessly and I don't want to reopen that discussion, but I think a level 1 count is perfectly fine, especially for a beginner. Also if true count conversion is really that big of a deal, there are perfectly acceptable unbalanced counts that eliminate that step.
For a small BR level 2 is a huge asset. You have a smaller N0, you can make the same money with a smaller spread and your playing decisions are usually more accurate. All these things are particularly important to a small bankroll.

Nynefingers

tthree said:
For a small BR level 2 is a huge asset. You have a smaller N0, you can make the same money with a smaller spread and your playing decisions are usually more accurate. All these things are particularly important to a small bankroll.
Played perfectly, of course a level 2 count is better. Regardless of bankroll size. But remember we're talking about someone who has never even counted before. Probably doesn't even know perfect basic strategy yet. I stand by my statement that a level one count is perfectly adequate.