pair of 8's against A-4

What is the correct play in this situation?

I was dealt 8-8, dealer had Ace showing and accidently flashed his hole card which was a 4.
It was a 6d s17 das game, surrender allowed. Had hi-lo TC around +3.
I deliberated for moment and decided to take my chances with standing. My quick reasoning was that splitting risked making a lousy situation much worse and surrender was not really attractive since I thought he would have to take a few hits with good potential to bust. I ended up losing, dealer drew a 10 for a hard 15, followed by a 5. Not that it really matters now, I am just curious what the best move is in that situation.

sagefr0g

palroot said:
What is the correct play in this situation?

I was dealt 8-8, dealer had Ace showing and accidently flashed his hole card which was a 4.
It was a 6d s17 das game, surrender allowed. Had hi-lo TC around +3.
I deliberated for moment and decided to take my chances with standing. My quick reasoning was that splitting risked making a lousy situation much worse and surrender was not really attractive since I thought he would have to take a few hits with good potential to bust. I ended up losing, dealer drew a 10 for a hard 15, followed by a 5. Not that it really matters now, I am just curious what the best move is in that situation.
split

Attachments

Sucker

If you stand your EV is about -49%. If you split, your equity on each hand is about -7.3%, for a total equity of -14.6%. You made a HORRIBLE play.

Yeah, I had a feeling that was the wrong move. I got excited about catching the hole card and probably overthought it. Should have just stuck to basic descision. Thanks