People at the table?

sagefr0g

Renzey said:
Suppose it's just another day in the green felt jungle where you're playing blackjack with two other ploppies -- nothing new. In a modestly positive count, you double A/8 against a 5 and catch a 10. The dealer turns over a 7, then hits it with a 9 to make 21 and sweeps the board. Seeing that your 10 would've busted the dealer, they both begin to chide you for your shoddy play.
Next shoe with a slightly negative count, you hit 12 against a 4 and catch a 6. Already perturbed over your last "rulebreaker", they again throw their arms up in protest even before the hand is played out. The dealer turns up a 5, then a 10 for 19 and sweeps the board again -- when it would've been another dealer bust had you stood on 12 vs. 4. Mere admonishments now become insults of, "Can you believe this guy?", and "That's gotta' be one of the worst moves I've ever seen!" But hey, you're used to it -- you absorb this kind of abuse every day.

Next hand, you get 7/7 against a deuce. You know your best play is to split, but even then you'll win on each 7 only 46% of the time. So with a puzzled look on your face, you quizzically ask the pseudo-experts, "What are you supposed to do with this one?" Never short of advice, one quickly decrees, "Split'em in a heartbeat, Man." The other jumps right in with, "Nothin' to think about -- a textbook split." Looking unsure, you ask if somebody wants to take on of your 7's. Thinking that since it's a basic strategy split, they both jump at the notion of getting part of a "moneymaking" hand from some goofball who doesn't know any better. So you sell each of them a 7 and get out of the hand altogether. What's your moral opinion of what you've just done?
if they wanted to do it i'd let them. i would not induce them to do it if it is in fact not a good play for them.

sagefr0g said:
if they wanted to do it i'd let them. i would not induce them to do it if it is in fact not a good play for them.
Exactly. I'm not going to give a player at the table bad advice, just like I wouldn't give a new player here bad advice, or expect one of the full-time pros here to give me bad advice.

blackchipjim

people

Evening guys, one of you were standing behind me to describe those almost exact plays. I think I may get my arse kicked for doing some of those things but none the less it is entertaining to play with varied sorts of people. I try to take the high road most of the times but it's tough to when your losing because of your help to someone else. I love to watch people and enteract at the table with certain guidelines. Some of the best and some of the worse people I have met were at the tables.I really enjoy playing with older people because it's slower and easier to count.They add a certain flavor to the game that only the older people can. I have played with all women at the table and just about went out of my mind with their constant chatter and carrying on. The young ones have other things on their mind and it ain't blackjack but if your winning it can be most entertaining. Blackchipjim

jimpenn

Hand Interaction

The best I heard so far is from a recent poster who carries a strategy card with him and hands it to a poppy when questions come up. What a great way to establish a relationship to dump negative doubles, splits, etc. It sure is a good ice breaker.