Playing with black chips

BlackJackHack

Frankly, I'm not big on trip reports. I have benefited in the past from the advice of others on this and other forums, however, and thought others might find this interesting.

For some time, I had contemplated transitioning from $25 to $100 units. Intellectually, I could think of no reason not to do it. I have a very substantial bankroll, and my game is solid after three years (not full-time by any means, but much more than a casual hobby) of success at green-level play. I recently took the plunge.

I played a mix of 2D and 6D games, wonging out of the 6D games at all TCs below -1 (I use the Uston APC, but the TC is not a lot different than hi-lo).

I started play at 6pm on Day 1, and finished at 10pm on Day 4 - roughly a 72-hour period.

Even though I had experienced the usual fluctuations of green chip play, I was NOT emotionally prepared for this. Throughout my trip, I experienced +/- fluctuations of $3k-5k per hour.

Between 6pm on Day 1 and 4pm on day 2 (less than 24 hours), and in only about 6 hours of play, I lost $12k. As a green chipper, I had NEVER lost more than $5k in 24 hours, and now I had lost $12k in just 6 hours of play. While I knew that this was well within the normal range of statistical expectation, I was really depressed.

I had brought a cash bankroll of $15k. At 4pm on Day 2, I pulled another $2k from a brokerage account (that permits $2k daily ATM withdrawals). I would have to wait until the morning of Day 3 before I could further replenish my trip bankroll when the banks opened. There was a very high possibility of tapping out my $17k (of which only $5k remained) before I could get to the bank on Day 3!

I played a few green chip sessions on the evening of Day 2, both because of concern about my depleted cash bankroll, and to help myself relax. I had a couple of moderate (green chip-size) wins, and quickly returned to black play, and had some more wins, including a $3500 win. Overnight on Day 2-Day 3, I won back around $6k. I had cut my loss in half.

On the afternoon of Day 3, I had a small (a $1000 win is pretty small at black play) win. Then I had a session where I lost about $5000 in an hour --- back down to around -$10k for the trip.

Fortunately, the flux turned good on the evening of Day 3, and during the day on Day 4. I had a string of modest ($1000-2000) wins, and finished with a $3k win (in an hour) in the evening.

After logging in my results in Excel on the plane, I determined I finished ahead $350 for the trip. That would be a nice result for a red chipper. For a black chip player, clearly anything +/- $1000 for a 3 day trip should be looked at as "break even." I would win or lose $1000 in the blink of an eye.

I get very emotional when I think about this trip. It was certainly gratifying to dig myself out of a $12k hole (even though I am well aware that there is no such thing as a "trip" or a "session," it is virtually impossible for a human being not to think in such terms). On the other hand, I was really a wreck until well after I got home.

A very insightful post, and maybe Eliot will archive it.

I hope many, many people read your comments. There are so many people who think that just because they can, or have the bank, or believe they have the skills, that transitioning from green to black is a piece of cake.

Au Contraire.

The emotional control and experience needed in order to master and handle the swings takes much, much more than learning how to count or playing for small stakes.

Blackchip play is another level, another ballgame altogether. The requirements to handle the psychological, emotional and financial swings that you'll experience are steep. It is very hard to put into words. There are many who have the ability, and finances, and still won't do it, for those same reasons that you experienced.

Now that you have experienced it, and I am one who believes you're better off in having the negative flux first, you'll be much better prepared the next time you step into the arena.

However, you may very well decide that the roller coaster effects of winning and losing 5K in a heartbeat is too steep a price to pay for the opportunity of playing with a 1-1.5% advantage, while being on candid camera, and thinking that you might have to be James Bond like to be allowed to play again, and that's even if you lose. What if you win? :)

Nice job in hanging in there though. My hat's off to you. All I can say, is been there, and doing that.

cheers
bfb

Great person to sit next to on the plane

Next time I'm on the plane and I see someone logging BJ results into Excel I'll be sure to say hello!

Just got done posting something about this on another forum, the emotions will kill you in this game, perhaps literally. Can you imagine what could have happened if you started steaming to recover your loss? You have to do what you have to do to control it, be it money management devices like leaving on a win or alcohol or whatever. Sure these things won't hurt or help you (except too much alcohol, which will always help) but if the alternative is steaming or other illogical play those things sure will hurt you. Maybe playing with black chips instead of green, as well as evoking a "black action" call, has an undesirable stressful effect on you. Thanks for the report.

suicyco maniac

Seems kinda small for 4 days of black play. I have won or lost more then that on one shoe several times. Perhaps being shortstacked at the table (while still hopefully having bankroll at home) added signifigantly to your stress level. SM

BlackJackHack

$15k

I suspect that, when winning or losing $15k on a single shoe, you were playing with a bigger spread (perhaps 1-10 or 1-12) than I was. With the spread I was using (1-6 or 2x4), and playing mostly 2D, I felt that $5k (which was the lowest my trip bankroll got) was enough to sit down, albeit barely.

I do think I should have brought more than $15k cash. While I can replenish my bankroll fairly quickly during banking hours, that's only 8 hours per day. If I tap out in the evening, that would cost me several hours of play.

Anthony

Good Job!!!

First I would like to say that you are a winner. Although you didn't really win a lot of money, especially since a 350 dollar win while playing with that kind of money doesn't seem like much. However, how would you feel on the plane if you lost 350? Anyway, you've put more time into the long run, and the next time you play it could just as easilly go all your way. You went home a winner from your trip, and probally would have made a lot more at your job if you work, but what the heck, you have to be in it to win it.

Good Job
Anthony