Playing with the Enemy

So the when you sat down at the table the Pit Boss was standing 10 feet away, at his podium with his hand on his chin, and he hasn't moved since. He has no idea what you have been betting or spreading, and that is a good thing, because the count has gotten really juicy and you are slamming out the big bets (that dumb pit boss didn't even look over when the dealer called out 'checks play' on your bet last round - he has no idea who is betting the big money).

Of course we get the high count, dealer showing a 6 upcard, play. Either the dealer has a Ten in the hole, and draws a Ten and busts (what else could it be in such a high count?). Maybe it is the old, he actually has a 5 in the hole for 11, draws a 10 for 21, and beats everybody (what did you expect him to draw with such a high count?) How about the classic, he has the 5 in the hole for 11, an Ace gets in the way on his next draw for 12, and then he busts with the face card. (Only seen that one about 1000 times).

But no, this time it is really perverse. The Dealer has a 4 in the hole for 10. He draws a 3 for 13. Then he draws a 2 for 15. By now all the ploppies at the table are chanting "Bust-Bust-Bust", or "Big Card-Big Card-Big Card", and a loud cry of "MONKEY" from the Asian player. You are thinking, "Where in the hell are all these small cards coming from with such a high count?" Does it really matter if the dealer finally draws his big card and busts, or if he draws a little card and beats your soft 19 double down? You are in this for the long haul, the long run, an advantage player doesn't care about the outcome of a single hand.

No, what you really care about is the count. With all those small cards coming out, the already high count is now outrageous. If you won the last hand, you are trying to calculate how much of your winnings to parlay on the next hand. If you lost, you are busily counting a stack of chips, trying to get the next big bet out. Meanwhile on a win, all the ploppies are busy high fiving each other, happily raking in another minimum bet, adding it to their small stacks of chips. If the dealer drew 21, they are still moaning and groaning with each other.

Notice the difference. Every turn of the card is a revelation to the ploppy. If the dealer busts with Ten, you think, "of course". The ploppy is amazed. He is probably very interested in the outcome of the hand. If he is playing a progression, then it is the most important thing. He won't know what to bet on the next hand until he knows if he has won or lost this one. If not an outright progression, he is still wanting to know if his 'hot streak' is still going, or has it just ended, or has the 'cold streak' turned, or whatever. At the very least, is the dealer hot, or is he busting? You don't care about the hand. The count is what matters, and now you are placing your bet on this next round, based on the count.

Meanwhile, back to the podium with the pit boss. Of course I never looked over on the 'checks play' call. Old Joe on third base never bets over $20. The Asian has gone thru his $800 buy-in and doesn't have a $100 to bet until he buys in for more chips. No, the checks play call was because of that nerdy looking fellow, who hasn't said a word, stares intently at the cards, and keeps nervously glancing over here at me. What's this? The dealer made a 5 card 21, everybody is weeping, cussing, pulling their hair, except for that 'checks play' guy. He seems to be doing nothing but carefully counting out a big stack of chips for his next bet.

I thought that guy looked like the type when he walked up to the table. He seemed to know his way around the blackjack game when he played that first hand. Thought I had a good player on my hands, now I am 100% SURE I do. Think I better walk on over and watch some action ....