Plus-Minus Counting

When I started to practice my CC,, I would always get confused with adding and subtracting with the count starting at zero. The starting point I now use is 10 with 10 representing zero. Very rarely have to deal with counts that get below zero. Anything over 10, of course, is positive and anything below 10 is neg. Much easier for me, anyway. Any opinions?

CanKen

IRC=10

This works very well with an unbalanced count like KO. All you have to do is adjust your key count and pivot point.

Plus-Minus

I use Red 7. Like to play two-deck so I subtract 4 from 10 and start my IRC at +6 which would equal -4 if starting at 0. Much more efficient for me to be counting in positive numbers most of the time.

Theef

With a balanced count? Not so easy

Adding an initial running count may help you keep track of the RC, but you'll still have to calculate the true count, which has to be "unbiased" back to 0 before you perform the division or else it won't represent what you think it does.

Plus-Minus

It dosen't matter if you use a balanced or unbalanced count. I am simply switching 10 for 0. If the RC is say 6, in my count that starts from 10, it simply means the RC is now -4. If it is 13, then the RC is +3. It is just an easier way for me to keep track of the RC by not having to add negatives and positives back and forth around zero.

Take up a new game

If you don't like having to manage negative numbers, count down the Spanish deck by starting at zero. Because you have 16 tens missing from the shoe, the count virtually always goes into the plus zone. Just make sure you know what plus number constitutes an advantage so you know when to shove out the dough.