Promo worth?

KewlJ

I know this is going to be worth very little, but am just curious as to how little.

Suited Ace-king pays 4-1.

DSchles

KewlJ said:
I know this is going to be worth very little, but am just curious as to how little.

Suited Ace-king pays 4-1.
Does it pay 4 to 1 instead of 3 to 2, or in addition to the 3 to 2 payout? So, if you bet $2, do you just get $8 for that natural, or do you first get $3 and then another $8?

Even if it's just $8, it's actually worth quite a lot. For a six-deck game, I make it 0.74%.

Don

KewlJ

Thanks for your reply Don. That is more than I was anticipating. It is not very clear if it is 4-1 in addition or instead of 3-2. I am figuring instead of but will clarify when I get there. The 4-1 is only good on the first $100 of any wager, so that too makes it less attractive.

It is one day only and I am trying to decide if it is worth putting in some time.

I also have seen a few of these types of promotions that were sort of AP traps, so I have concerns about that, but I'd be surprised at this property. Thanks again for the reply.

DSchles

These kinds of promos are, of course, subject to great variance, given the time constriant of only 24 hours. The suited Ace-king accours once every 337 hands. So you decide how long it will take you to play that. Then, of course, in that period, you may hit once or more than once, or you may not hit at all. So, there's a great deal of luck involved.

Finally, as you state, if your average blackjack bet is going to be MORE than $100, then the 0.74% is reduced, because, you can't get the bonus payout on anything over $100.

Don

21forme

Probably not worth it. You will get a suited A-K roughly a little less than once every 300 hands. Assuming 100 hph, that's once every 3 hours.

ETA - was typing this as Don posted his follow-up

MrFatCat

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if the game is like 0.6% to the bad off the top and this improves it by 0.74%, couldn't you just flat-bet $100s and play perfect BS? Wong out if it gets particularly bad?

DSchles

MrFatCat said:
Maybe this is a dumb question, but if the game is like 0.6% to the bad off the top and this improves it by 0.74%, couldn't you just flat-bet $100s and play perfect BS? Wong out if it gets particularly bad?
Yes you could. Just very tedious, for very little gain. When the edge that you get is in the form of a bigger payout that happens very infrequently, that increases the overall variance and is different from getting the same return from all even-money or 3:2 payouts. It simply makes the chance that you will actually realize the edge somewhat more risky.

Don

KewlJ

As suspected, it was a total 4-1 payout, not in addition to the regular 3-2 blackjack payout. Thanks again to Don for the math.

KewlJ

1. Played 440 rounds by my estimation, so not great. Won a bit of money though and the EV was pretty good.

I have a second day next week. Not sure if I will try again or not.