Rarely talked about counts

Renzey

I've been using Wong Halves doubled since 1980. It goes; 1, 2, 2, 3, 2, 1, 0, -1, -2, -2. The BC is 99.3% and the PE is 56.4%. Actually, back then I assumed that "bigger is better". Since then, blackjack simulation software has shown this to be basically true -- but to a rapidly diminishing extent as count complexity goes up. Wong Halves outperforms Hi/Lo by about 8% to 10% with about double the effort required. Still, I continue to use it because I'm a dinosaur and am very used to it.

I probably wouldn't suggest that a new AP learn Halves. Something like the unbalanced KISS III (96.3% and 55.2%) is very adequate and requires maybe 30% of the effort. For somebody who wants near optimum performance, the level 2 balanced Mentor Count is very good at both shoe and hand held games (97.0% and 62.2%). Neither uses any side counts.

bluewhale

anyone know how much improvement there is when using a side count of aces along with hi/low? i.e. the increase in your hourly wage. also in the grand scheme, i would think this would be one of the most powerful counts available, no?

bluewhale said:
anyone know how much improvement there is when using a side count of aces along with hi/low? i.e. the increase in your hourly wage. also in the grand scheme, i would think this would be one of the most powerful counts available, no?
NO. If the Ace is included in the primary count then a sideA augmentation is of negligible value. zg

QFIT

Automatic Monkey said:
For the games we have available in our part of the country, could you suggest anything significantly better? I've researched a few possibilites and I can't.
Nope. Zen is actually a tiny fraction of a percent better. But I think it's easier to count the Ten and Ace the same.

QFIT said:
Nope. Zen is actually a tiny fraction of a percent better. But I think it's easier to count the Ten and Ace the same.
Really. My sims show Zen to perform lower than High-Low on those games because the large spreads required cause the value of BC to go up and PE to go down.

Unless maybe you are backcounting and coming in at high advantage only, where knowing your exact advantage is less important and playing insurance and high index plays is more important?

QFIT

Automatic Monkey said:
Really. My sims show Zen to perform lower than High-Low on those games because the large spreads required cause the value of BC to go up and PE to go down.

Unless maybe you are backcounting and coming in at high advantage only, where knowing your exact advantage is less important and playing insurance and high index plays is more important?
Cacarulo and I independently came to the conclusion that Zen very slightly outperforms RPC in common games at common spreads. But, certainly there are innumerable exceptions.