reaching the end of my rope

DSchles said:
"I split my 88, get 10, double, get 5,"

You meant to write, "get Ace," no?

Don
I got 88, split and got 8, I split again got a stiff, and on the other 8 I got 3, for 11, doubled, got 20. I forget exactly how the hand went but there was about 1,000 out there.

bjo32

JohnCover I had one similar to this. It was about a year and half ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday since it was my biggest loss on one hand by far. I had split to two hands with my max bet, which was $80 on two hands and the dealer pulled up a 6. I was feeling good at this point. Both my hands were pairs. I don't remember now what they were but neither one was two 10s. I never split 10s. On both hands I proceeded to spit them about 3 or 4 times and had at least 3 or 4 doubles on those hands. I had to go into my wallet at least 3x, and it might have been 4. All I know is I had a lot of money out there. Everybody was rooting for me, even the pitt boss came over and was rooting for me. The dealer had a hard time making room for all the hands due to all the splits and doubles. The pit boss, dealer and the table genuinely wanted me to win that one.

To my shock (and everybody at the table, including the dealer and pit boss), the dealer turned over a five for a 11. I still can't believe that happened because the count must have been like a TC 6 to 8. I don't need to tell you the rest of the story. The dealer pulled a 10 for 21 and took all my bets. And I had several 20 and 19s on the table. Needless to say, this one hand pretty much killed my whole weekend.

It's been a year and a half and I'm still trying to recover from that hand, more on an emotional level than a financial level. Lol. It didn't hurt me finiacial but I still find it amazing that the most money I've ever had on the table and the dealer draws to 21.

This story probably doesn't help your situation but I wanted you to understand that these kind of things happen when you play blackjack.

bjo32 said:
JohnCover I had one similar to this. It was about a year and half ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday since it was my biggest loss on one hand by far. I had split to two hands with my max bet, which was $80 on two hands and the dealer pulled up a 6. I was feeling good at this point. Both my hands were pairs. I don't remember now what they were but neither one was two 10s. I never split 10s. On both hands I proceeded to spit them about 3 or 4 times and had at least 3 or 4 doubles on those hands. I had to go into my wallet at least 3x, and it might have been 4. All I know is I had a lot of money out there. Everybody was rooting for me, even the pitt boss came over and was rooting for me. The dealer had a hard time making room for all the hands due to all the splits and doubles. The pit boss, dealer and the table genuinely wanted me to win that one.

To my shock (and everybody at the table, including the dealer and pit boss), the dealer turned over a five for a 11. I still can't believe that happened because the count must have been like a TC 6 to 8. I don't need to tell you the rest of the story. The dealer pulled a 10 for 21 and took all my bets. And I had several 20 and 19s on the table. Needless to say, this one hand pretty much killed my whole weekend.

It's been a year and a half and I'm still trying to recover from that hand, more on an emotional level than a financial level. Lol. It didn't hurt me finiacial but I still find it amazing that the most money I've ever had on the table and the dealer draws to 21.

This story probably doesn't help your situation but I wanted you to understand that these kind of things happen when you play blackjack.
Yeah, it's the nature of the best. Fortunately for me I still turned a nice profit for the shoe and the session for that matter. I remember for a split second I thought that maybe I should go for the risk aversion approach, which may have been wise, considering the high RoR a I'm already playing with but splitting 10's makes about 10% of the I18 value and the count must have been TC 10 because the running count was about 20 with less that 2 decks so I just dispelled that approach almost immediately, if it was more border line I still probably would have split but there's a better chance I would have taken the risk aversion approach. Also what went through my mind is the 2 times I got backed off before that for splitting 10's, it's just such a give away. I was seriously considering staying just to increase longevity but to my delight the dealer didn't yell out "Splitting tens" at this place. I had the dealer Yell "Splitting tens" during one of my back offs...all 4 times...yeah, was very awkward, that was my last hand at that place.
Thanks for sharing your experience, there's probably light at the end of the tunnel for us.

JohnCrover said:
Yeah, it's the nature of the best. Fortunately for me I still turned a nice profit for the shoe and the session for that matter. I remember for a split second I thought that maybe I should go for the risk aversion approach, which may have been wise, considering the high RoR a I'm already playing with but splitting 10's makes about 10% of the I18 value and the count must have been TC 10 because the running count was about 20 with less that 2 decks so I just dispelled that approach almost immediately, if it was more border line I still probably would have split but there's a better chance I would have taken the risk aversion approach. Also what went through my mind is the 2 times I got backed off before that for splitting 10's, it's just such a give away. I was seriously considering staying just to increase longevity but to my delight the dealer didn't yell out "Splitting tens" at this place. I had the dealer Yell "Splitting tens" during one of my back offs...all 4 times...yeah, was very awkward, that was my last hand at that place.
Thanks for sharing your experience, there's probably light at the end of the tunnel for us.
Hello John,

I am sorry to learn about your current struggles. Posting here is certainly an outlet to vent and hopefully receive some positive advice from those who have experience to help. It is my opinion you need some guidance or validation beyond card play at this time.

Your 19......don't let blackjack define your entire existence. Take a complete self evaluation and examine what is missing in your life. Don't be afraid to face issues that you might have avoided in the past. Spiritual and family matters especially. There is never shame in asking for help brother. If you have avoided dealing with ongoing issues.....NO amount of winning or money will ever fill that void. Trust that from someone who lost a business, went thru financial struggles and survived a horrible mid life meltdown. Looking back, God used those life experiences to humble me and get me to face the fact I had my prioritys entirely wrong. I don't mean to preach at you, I just see that your down and hurting. I want you to know that things can get better.

If you ever need to talk, please contact me.

RK

Hell'nBack

RevinKevin327 said:
Hello John,

I am sorry to learn about your current struggles. Posting here is certainly an outlet to vent and hopefully receive some positive advice from those who have experience to help. It is my opinion you need some guidance or validation beyond card play at this time.

Your 19......don't let blackjack define your entire existence. Take a complete self evaluation and examine what is missing in your life. Don't be afraid to face issues that you might have avoided in the past. Spiritual and family matters especially. There is never shame in asking for help brother. If you have avoided dealing with ongoing issues.....NO amount of winning or money will ever fill that void. Trust that from someone who lost a business, went thru financial struggles and survived a horrible mid life meltdown. Looking back, God used those life experiences to humble me and get me to face the fact I had my prioritys entirely wrong. I don't mean to preach at you, I just see that your down and hurting. I want you to know that things can get better.

If you ever need to talk, please contact me.

RK

Gambling is a lot like life itself. You will be brutalized by them most of the time. It's up to the individual to accept it and move on.

Well, these stories do mount up to something I guess. Doesn't hurt to try it out. You can go as low as you want after all.

Last edited: