regarding poker

Cyrano

Apologies since this isn't bj...

A couple observations and questions...

First of all, I just wanted to say that I'm usually playing in low-limit hold'em--3/6 variety. Usually about 5-7 people see the flop then things begin to thin out, with about 3 people seeing the river.

That said, I was wondering (and I know this is HIGHLY subjective), but about how much is a good minimum bankroll for 1 month, playing daily, 2-3 hours a day? What kind of swings can I expect? Let's assume for simplicity's sake I'm playing a BREAK-EVEN game. No advantage, no disadvantage. In the long-run, my $1,000 bankroll will remain at $1,000. Let's also assume I'm tight, passive.

Second, how the heck do you guys wait hand after hand?!? Today, I played for 4 hours and in that time, I've only seen 2 flops excluding my blinds (8 flops total--dumped some blinds after being raised). What's the average I should be seeing and am I playing too tight? In the last 3 days, I've averaged about 3 hours a day: day 1=$250, day 2=$300, day 3=-$100. Is this normal?

The Mayor

Most humbly redirected...

Your post is perfect for the web site: www.twoplustwo.com

As for your results, they seem normal, but highly in the short-run. A reasonable bankroll for a 2/4 game if you are an excellent player is 2k. Yes, the swings are that big.

I have gone 4 hours without seeing a single flop. I have gone entire sessions when I have not even mucked a hand that "would have won".

--Mayor

Juicy Game.

" Usually about 5-7 people see the flop then things begin to thin out, with about 3 people seeing the river. "

You can clean up on a game like that with the proper starting hand selection, and not having major leaks in your game.

Go to the site the Mayor suggested, get some solid basic skills, and 300BB is considered good bankroll.

So for a $2/$4 game, $1200 should keep you playing.

In a loose game like you describe, you should be seeing about 20% of the flops.
And being able to fold hand after hand after hand when you are getting dealt trash is a poker skill, keep practicing it. If you right hand gets tired folding, throw your cards in with your left hand.

Cyrano

LOL~

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice. I didn't even realize that's considered "juicy". Thought they were good players because most of them seem old, gruff, and tossed around poker jargon like it was their native language. BTW, any idea what my win rate SHOULD be with such a table?

win rates -- your mileage may vary.

I could probably get 6 BB an hour from it, depends how long they will keep paying off my aggression when I raise.

If you aren't hitting 3 or 4 BB an hour, then you need to keep studying.

Don't worry about old guys playing and knowing poker, they probably learned playing 5 card draw and Stud and stuff like that.

Hold Em has it's own advantages, so you have to really know that game as opposed to just general poker knowledge.

Cyrano

Thx for the advice

I -know- I'm not getting 3-4BB/hour so I think I'll just study up some more. Which book's starting hands would you recommend?