Response to people trying to clear the table

mrbill

While at a table a couple days ago, I was doing rather well. A bunch of young guys were looking for a table. At the beginning of the shoe, one of them sat at an open spot next to me(I was at 3rd base). First hand he was dealt a 13, dealer had a 5 up. He hit his 13 and got a 9 to bust. Dealer ended up busting also. Second hand he got a BJ. Third hand he had a 12 against a dealer 5. He hit once for 14, again for 16 and again to bust. This time the dealer made her hand and beat the table. Would've busted if not for the kid next to me.

I realized nobody could be that stupid and he was just attempting to clear the table for his buddies. I asked the dealer to mark my spot so I could take a break. At the same time a couple others at the table got up and left in disgust. I would've also, but I was doing well and didn't want to leave the table. I went to the bathroom and came back and watched for a couple hands. He played fairly normally. After I got back in, he played one hand stupidly and I turned to him and said, "Play like that all you want, Just hope you have enough to outlast me". He didn't know what to say so didn't say much of anything and started playing normally.

I ended up staying at the table another couple hours and was up $300 when I lef the table.

Last edited:

newyorkbear

Believe it or not,there are penty of people who simply play like that. I've had people tell me that they read a book and the average dealers hand is 19,therefore anything under 19 should lose and must be hit.others tell me they must stick with 8-5 against a ten because they know that 1 out of 3 cards is a ten,so odds are they will get a ten if they hit.
I would assume that anyone smart enough to play stupidly to clear a table would make good table companions.But what difference do your tablemates make anyway?

mrbill

I'm pretty sure he was trying to clear the table, because he played differently when I wasn't in and after I said what I said. Also, there were spaces at other tables his buddies could play at, but they wanted to play together.

Didn't particularly bother me, he only cost me the one hand, but since I could only know that after the fact, even that didn't bother me. Things like that used to bother me, but not anymore. I just find it interesting and chuckle most of the time. More than anything I was feeling a little feisty that day. Decided to have a little fun with him.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Consider this possible explanation...
Since you say you were at third base, the group may have known the dealer at that table flashes the holecard to someone seated at third base. Anytime I see players that seem focused on getting on a particular table at a particular seat, I look for a good reason. There's usually not one, but often enough there is. It's amazing what you'll see if you know what to look for.

That seems to be the theme of today... When you see stupid behavior, most of the time it is just that. But sometimes it's the mark of a skilled player instead.