Server Errors

London Colin

When attempting to post or take other actions connected with 'conversations', we are getting "Server Error. Please try again later."

Please don't, as there will likely be no error and we are all producing duplicate posts when we retry.

You should be able to verify that your action has succeeded by refreshing the page you are on.

gronbog

Was still happening to me as of yesterday. Note that it happens only when posting to conversations and not when posting to the forum.

London Colin

gronbog said:
Was still happening to me as of yesterday. Note that it happens only when posting to conversations and not when posting to the forum.
Are you also not receiving email notifications of new messages? I'm not, and I wonder if the two issues may have a common source.

gronbog

I can't remember if I ever got email notifications of new messages in conversations, but I'm not getting them now.

London Colin

gronbog said:
I can't remember if I ever got email notifications of new messages in conversations, but I'm not getting them now.
You can see in your account preferences whether or not you have it enabled (as I do).

For what it's worth, it looks to me like the server error message indicates that the browser is timing out a response from the server and thus assuming that the action failed, whereas in fact it is either just taking too long to send the response or not sending it at all, even though it successfully carries out the requested action.

Conceivably it could be failing to send the confirmation email as part of the same failure.