simple question EVERYONE!

why does achiving ur key count (more 10's in the deck) give you an advantage over the dealer?

the dealer has the same chance as hitting the 10's as i do

and if i only alter my bet n not my stratagey why is more 10's in the deck better for me and not the dealer?

i understand how to count

i can count quick

can someone please explain or post something on how this actualy works

and how its an advantage to me and not the dealer?

everything i read explains how to count but not why counting works?

is the whole advantage splitting doubleing down and insurance ?

Last edited:

matt21

yes you got the right idea.

the benefit from having more 10's (and A's) in the deck means that your double-downs and splits have a higher chance of success. This would be the case even if you just followed the normal basic strategy. However an additional benefit from counting is that you know at what you point you should deviate from basic strategy based on the fact that the deck is high in 10's. The deviation from BS (eg standing on 16 v T instead of hitting in positive counts) is proven to be more profitable in the long-run based on simulations. A BS deviation is also referred to as an 'index play'.

Additionally although with a high count the dealer also has a higher chance of getting a blackjack, the dealer takes just your original bet whereas the player gets paid 3:2 on a blackjack.

So having a high count does not mean that you will win a higher proportion of the hands, but simply that you are more likely to get a ten on top of those double downs.

Hope that helps :) and good luck!

thanks matt that does help explain things a little more clear to me

when i first understood blackjack even without counting

if u got a 20...

and the dealer has a bust hand

bs said to stand

but i always thought that was ****ing retarded i always split that ****.. lol but i do understand now if the count is high and u split a 20 u may get 2 more 20's or even a 21

Krak3d

That and with a higher count, the dealer has more chance of busting, since the rule of hitting 16's, you can stand any hand, the dealer must hit up-to 16, so he busts more, overall win/win situation. Still it's not as easy as many think.

dealer does not have options like you, such as double down, split, surrender

as previously mentioned, dealer does not get paid 3:2 on insurance

MOST of a counter's advantage does not come from winning more often, it comes from more successful splits/doubles with high count, and getting paid 3:2 on blackjack. you can also surrender properly, and save lots of money when big bets are out

remember, dealer and player are NOT the same.

rrwoods

In addition to all the above things (favorable splits and doubles, more blackjacks), you win more often in stiff vs stiff situations since you get to stand on your 14 but the dealer has to take a card.