Stand on a 3 card 16 vs a 10?

Just curious what u guy's thoughts were on this. Had a few people mention it at the tables lately and have read a little bit about it on the internet. Is there a advantage to staying on a 3 card 16 vs a face/10 valued card? or should I always hit?

Thanks alot,
Ryan

Thunder

If you're playing Basic Strategy, more often than not it's beneficial to stand in such a scenario. But really the difference between hitting and standing on 16 vs dealer X is so minimal it's not worth worrying a lot about.

Billy C1

Rmitch223 said:
Just curious what u guy's thoughts were on this. Had a few people mention it at the tables lately and have read a little bit about it on the internet. Is there a advantage to staying on a 3 card 16 vs a face/10 valued card? or should I always hit?

Thanks alot,
Ryan
If you're playing BS it depends on the makeup of your 16. Renzey explained it in a past thread and maybe he'll chime in here.
If you're counting, then the count will many times dictate whether you hit or stand on the 16 (indices play).

BillyC1

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, standing on 3-or-more-card 16 vs Ten is a better play than hitting.

The 16vT play is a very close call. Any three card sixteen already uses up some cards you would like to draw (and these are also cards that would help the dealer make a hand if stiff.) That little difference is enough to tip the scales in favor of standing.

(How's that for answers. Just posted, and all three of us are answering at the same time.) :)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Im gonna stand on my 3 card 16's for a few days and well see what happens.

Billy C1 if you could direct me to the thread you mentioned it would be much appreciate. I'd like to read up some more on this.

Once again thanks for the answers everyone!
Ryan

shadroch

Just don't start staying on all three card sixteenss. Against a ten is one thing, but on't start staying against sevens.
I believe Renzey says to stay against a Ten if you have a four or a five as one of your cards.

Mr. T

It is an extremely extremely close call. But I always Stand as everybody else do the same on the BJ table. You don't get **** from the other players this way.

Renzey

Rmitch223 said:
There are (I think) 48 combinations of 2, 3 and 4 card 16's.
At the purely basic strategy level, you're instructed to just always hit 16 against a 10, although many 16's against a 10 should actually be stood on.
At a slightly deeper level of play, you're a smidge better off to hit the 2-card 16 and stand on all 3 or more card 16's, although, some 3 and even 4 card 16's should actually still be hit.
At yet a slightly deeper level, you should play all your 16's against a 10 according to the "Rule of 45". That means to stand with your 16 if it contains a 4 or a 5, but hit all the rest. Aside from the mathematics behind this rule, the rationale is that a 4 or 5 in your hand leaves one less key "out" available to make 20 or 21 with. Of those 48 or so iterations of 2, 3 and 4 card 16's, the "Rule of 45" will get you to play nearly all of them correctly.
Some examples are to stand against a 10 with the likes of 8/5/3, 9/4/3, 7/5/4, 8/4/4 and A/4/A/10, but to still hit with stuff like 7/6/3, 8/2/6 and even A/6/8/A.

Renzey

thelonelybull said:
Very good stuff, Renzey. I guess at some point it is just splitting hairs.
Yes, it is splitting hairs. Seldom will standing over hitting give you anywhere near a 1% better chance to win the hand over hitting. The other side of that coin is, 16 against a 10 in all its compositions, comes up more often than nearly any other holding (about once every 28 hands).

BTW, all this "3-card-16" and "Rule of 45" stuff assumes you do not count cards. If you do, card counting supersedes everything, since your count knows more about your chances to improve your 16 than just what cards make up your 16.

For that matter, there is another level of playing 16 against a 10 that fits in between the Rule-of-45 and card counting. It's known as "board counting".
In essence, it's an "on-the-spot" freeze-frame snipet of card counting that can tell you a bit better than the Rule-of-45 what to do this time around. When you're dealt 16 against a 10, look around the board and tally up the "babies" (2's thru 5's) and cancel them out against the 10's. If there are more babies on board than 10's -- stand, otherwise hit.
Thus, you should still hit your 8/4/4 against a 10 if there's one other player at the table and he holds 10/10. Likewise, you should stand with your 10/6 against a 10 if the other player holds 5/4/8/3 -- etc.

Once again, this is all to be superseded by counting down the shoe from the get-go.

Mr. T

Am I correct in saying Board Counting will not work if you are playing against the CSM. The busted cards that are immediately feed into the CSM could reappear for the hands near or at the third base. I am only saying this because I know you like to dabble in the very fine points in BJ.

Last edited:

SleightOfHand

Mr. T said:
Am I correct in saying Board Counting will not work if you are playing against the CSM. The busted cards that are immediately feed into the CSM could reappear for the hands near or at the third base. I am only saying this because I know you like to dabble in the very fine points in BJ.
CSMs are actually somewhat slightly countable, albeit its not at all worth it for profit. They use 4 decks and they usually place a couple rounds of cards in the discard rack before placing then back into the CSM. There will be a few occasions where you can make better playing decisions than if you didn't count at all

bjcount

I had run some comp dep indices for a variety of hand combinations some time last year which may be some food for thought in regards to this thread.

The bottom of the chart gets confusing because I accidently mixed in some 15 vs 9&10.

BJC

Attachments

Sharky

bjcount said:
I had run some comp dep indices for a variety of hand combinations some time last year which may be some food for thought in regards to this thread.

The bottom of the chart gets confusing because I accidently mixed in some 15 vs 9&10.

BJC

Perhaps we should call these the UI18 (un-illustrious18)

:juggle:

Attachments

Billy C1

Rmitch223 said:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Im gonna stand on my 3 card 16's for a few days and well see what happens.

Billy C1 if you could direct me to the thread you mentioned it would be much appreciate. I'd like to read up some more on this.

Once again thanks for the answers everyone!
Ryan
Sorry I didn't respond to your request until now but you will note that Renzey posted what you wanted to know right here.
My suggestion to you (being you have BS mastered) is learn to "count" be-
cause as Renzey indicates, that advantage trumps basic strategy here.
This is called indices play and once you become proficient at that you'll find that "the count" changes many typical BS plays to your advantage.

BillyC1