Surrender vs. Insurance

techster

On a true count of +3, insurance should be taken against an ace. What if you are playing a game that offers early surrender? Which is more profitable, insurance or surrender?

techster said:
On a true count of +3, insurance should be taken against an ace. What if you are playing a game that offers early surrender? Which is more profitable, insurance or surrender?
Good question! It all depends on your hand and the count. Never played a game that offered early surrender against an ace so I've never worked it out. It might get a little complicated.

EasyRhino said:
I wonder if you could do both? That probably wouldn't attract any attention at all. :)
Not in an ES game. They pick up your cards when you surrender and you're out of the hand.

But I've insured then late surrendered plenty of times!

EmeraldCityBJ

Is Late Surrender still an option?

If it's an option, it's best to take insurance (assuming the true count is >=+3), and if you lose the insurance bet, surrender.

However, if they don't allow you to late surrender after the insurance bet is resolved, the math changes. It would be a matter of calculating your +EV on the insurance bet and comparing that to the difference in your EV between hitting and surrendering your hand. I don't know the exact numbers, but my instincts tell me that you'd still want to take insurance. I expect the closest decision would be right at TC=+3 since that is when the EV from taking insurance would be at its lowest.