Taking insurance in a high count (on non BJ)

When the count is high enough to warrant taking the insurance bet, how do you take it regularly without attracting suspicion? I mean if it's a blackjack and you take even money that's one thing. But any other hand? Would pit bosses start to notice that you take insurance when you have more money on the table, and not take insurance when you have the minimum out there? And then suspect that you're counting?

These aren't thoughts I have from personal experience, just ideas I had that I hadn't seen anyone else discuss.

Wookets

Using HiLo, insurance becomes profitable at TC >=3. You are correct in that you will usually have a large bet out when taking insurance. A rare exception to this is when the TC raises drastically after you've placed your bet and new cards are dealt. Not attracting attention really depends on your mannerisms at the table. Just blurt random ploppy logic when placing your insurance similar to what Mango suggested.

21gunsalute

Several times I've had players question why I'm taking insurance with a poor hand such as 15 or 16. I usually respond with something like: "Because I've got $200 out there, I've got a poor hand and the dealer's showing an Ace. I'm being offered a way to break even and not lose my bet. I hope like hell the dealer has a blackjack." After such a statement (and winning the insurance bet) I'll often see other players take insurance when they have large bets out, although the count doesn't usually warrant such.

If you have a 20 (or even a 19) you can simply say "I'd better take insurance. I don't want to lose with 20."

Gamblor

"I have to protect my big bet" is the perfect answer.

Pit crews usually don't pay attention, so insure away. Only once did I ever not take insurance when I should have because of some minor heat - it was bad hand anyway, so didn't feel too bad about it with RA factored in.

paddywhack

21gunsalute said:
Several times I've had players question why I'm taking insurance with a poor hand such as 15 or 16. I usually respond with something like: "Because I've got $200 out there, I've got a poor hand and the dealer's showing an Ace. I'm being offered a way to break even and not lose my bet. I hope like hell the dealer has a blackjack."
And when he doesn't, it really sucks then having to surrender the hands too :laugh::laugh: