The 5 best cover plays?

Thunder

I thought I'd see what you guys think are the best cover plays for camouflage purposes with the lowest affect on your overall EV. (Granted at some counts it would be quite silly to do these moves, but overall)

I nominate

#5 16 vs. 10 (they expect a good player to hit this always)
#4 12 vs. 14
#2 not splitting 4's vs. dealer 5
#3 doubling soft 19
#1 12 vs. 16 (I love it when they chew me out for this one and this usually leaves the pb shaking his head)

Thunder said:
I thought I'd see what you guys think are the best cover plays for camouflage purposes with the lowest affect on your overall EV. (Granted at some counts it would be quite silly to do these moves, but overall)

I nominate

#4 12 vs. 14
#3 doubling soft 19
#1 12 vs. 16 (I love it when they chew me out for this one and this usually leaves the pb shaking his head)
I vote 'none of the above' zg

kewljason

Thunder said:

I nominate

#4 12 vs. 14
#3 doubling soft 19
Interesting way you have of counting down, 5,4,2,3,1. :laugh: 5,4,3 and 2 are all plays where the index is zero or very close to it, with #3 being the correct BS play for some games, so you would expect the cost to be minimal. 12 vs 6, I am not sure what you are thinking. :confused: Another play that index is zero is not doubling 9 vs 3. The problem with misplaying a 12 vs 4 and 9 vs 3 and certainly a 12 vs 6, is that the cost is minimal at low counts, but they do start to become more costly as the count gets higher, so the cost of misplaying them at +5 with 16 or 20 x your base wager and it's not quite so minimal.

I think I have already made my case against cover, but if I were going to use some, I like plays were it is only the incorrect play at low or nuetral counts and the 'misplay' is actually the correct play at higher counts when you have larger wagers out. 16 vs 10 would certainly be at the top of that list, along with A8 vs 6 and 11 vs A (in games where they are not already BS) and maybe a double 9 vs 2 and stand 12 vs 3 type plays.

somtum said:
Splitting 3's vs 8 in Pitch Games
This one I don't get at all. :confused: Many, if not most pit people won't even know the correct play for this hand, so they won't know if you are playing wrong or not, meaning you get absolutely zero benefit from it.

Last edited: