The Players' Club

phantom007

Nice Read.....

Hope they "make it in business". Always intend to "check it out" when in LV, but never seem to get there.

Please advise:

1. Is the GBS within walking distance of Strip or DT stores?

2. Does their selection include "out of print" stuff?

3. What is an "Alternative Newspaper"?

phantom007.

responses

1. Is the GBS within walking distance of Strip or DT stores?

no

2. Does their selection include "out of print" stuff?

yes

3. What is an "Alternative Newspaper"?

non-mainstream

Great read, Great store, Lots of voodoo books ...

as well as a complete collection of BJ books. I have visited there several times and have had different experiences ranging from "we are right happy to help you" to "hey another sucker here have a sucker". Didnt you work there Zengrifter?

""....Mixed in with the legends are pictures of problem gamblers--guys like Pete Rose (who's pictured with Schwartz on one of the store's walls) and Archie Karas (the golden-armed gambler who turned $10,000 into $17 million and then lost it all). In the northwest corner of the shop, Schwartz singles out a photo of Little Eddie Seremba, who took his Social Security check and ran it up to $800,000 in three days while playing craps at Binion's Horseshoe and Jerry's Nugget. "A week later, he lost every penny," Schwartz says. "Total degenerate.""" .... whew what a$$holes these guys were! Wasn't Pete rose a degenerate sports gambler too. ; )

Rob McGarvey

I Saw

Elvis and Grifter together there. G was trying to teach El how to count and El was trying to teach G how to sing. Then they were both abducted but aliens from A51.

Didnt you work there Zengrifter?

No, Gambler's General Store. zg

"... his 11th Street bookstore is called the Gambler's Book Shop--not only because it's often mistaken for the Gambler's General Store on Main Street..."

Sonny

Perfect description of Keno!

> "They shot at the sky long enough and a duck flew by," says Schwartz.

I have never heard it put so well. =)

-Sonny-

Radar

Howard Schwartz

Just returned from Vegas and stopped in Gambler's Book Shop to see what kind of BJ books they had. Found a couple of "Oldies but Goodies" and some really "old" BJ Forums in the backroom. While there, Howard came in and introduced himself to me. I have seen him in the "Hot Shoe" and elsewhere but never in person. To say the least, he was as friendly and helpful as the article states. We even had a conversation about The Bishop.

For those of you that have never been here, it is a MUST on your next stop in Vegas!

Radar

Radar

Read My Post Below

The store is actually off of Charleston. (Which is off of Main). It is not on Charleston, but it about a 200 feet back off the street and sits on a corner...can't miss that sign, though.

Everyone knows where it is, just stop and ask someone if you can't find it.

Radar

I was actually There, too!

The old guy there gave me the instructions to the store. I doubt that was you, since I remember reading a post where you said you worked there before I went last week?

Nice guy, though...

Bought some Double Diamond visors to look "real cool" for a tourist so I could play a little. It worked, wasn't backed off and asked about my "cool" visor and where did I get it. Of course, I told them and told them to ask for Zengrifter to get the best deal ;)

Howard Schwartz

Yeah, I finally went there after many, many years. I was methodically describing each photo on the wall to my girlfriend, who was dutifully pretending to be interested. Howard noticed (and doing what sounds like his MO) came over and started chatting to me about all the famous players, dropping names shamelessly. He filled out a lot of the stories you've only read about. He then sold me his last copy of a Ken Uston Video Games book for a buck. A steal at twice the price!

Come to think of it, I was just reading over a book I purchased on that trip not more than an hour ago... Anyway, it's not often a trip to the bookstore is fun and memorable. You don't get that from Amazon.

Rob Vega

Radar

Definitely worth the Stop!

"Yeah, I finally went there after many, many years. I was methodically describing each photo on the wall to my girlfriend, who was dutifully pretending to be interested. Howard noticed (and doing what sounds like his MO) came over and started chatting to me about all the famous players, dropping names shamelessly. He filled out a lot of the stories you've only read about. He then sold me his last copy of a Ken Uston Video Games book for a buck. A steal at twice the price!

Come to think of it, I was just reading over a book I purchased on that trip not more than an hour ago... Anyway, it's not often a trip to the bookstore is fun and memorable. You don't get that from Amazon."

It would be neat to get inside his mind and hear his stories, wouldn't it? Will definitely revisit on my next trip, for sure!