The rollercoaster that is card counting

sagefr0g

London Colin said:
Forgive my bluntness, but I literally have no idea what any of that means!:confused:
not at all sir, errhh i'm sure it's not because my writing is like unto that of Peter A. Griffin, lol.
please check the real data graph below. i'm sure you can tell which points on the graph are ATH events.
try and decide which points on the graph are the illusive GTL events that were alluded to.

edit: hint, the number of GTL events is greater than number of ATH events and all ATH events are GTL events, but not all GTL events are ATH events. GTL events are just a matter of improvement over ones previous very last monetary position. GTL events are never losing events.
end edit

edit:
postscript,

the question far as the idea of a GTL, may be, so what? so, consider:

pg 200, Professional Blackjack, S. Wong
section: Chances of Reaching All Time High
“….., the feeling that you are losing will haunt you during 98.4% of your playing time. one way to avoid getting depressed is to forget about your all time high. chances of moving up are always greater than chances of moving down, but downward movements will occur. your trend is still up. you must hit a new all time high if you keep playing well.”

Just me maybe, the bolded part of the quote of Wong is supported by the numeric value one can compute from their data, ie. GTL .

hence where i claim the GTL gives a warmer fuzzier feeling than the ATH, me thinks that agrees with the spirit of what Wong wrote in the quote above.

no big deal really, just a psychological thang, really.:rolleyes:
end edit

athvsgtl-jpg.9004

Last edited:

London Colin

It looks like part of the confusion here is that you have shifted the focus from hands to sessions. ATH, as we have been discussing it, applies to the result of each and every hand. While, as a practical matter, it may only be possible to keep track of changes in bankroll when you cash in your chips, if you want to define ATH in terms of these end-of-session snapshots, then the probability of being at an ATH will go up with the length of your sessions.

sagefr0g said:
GTL events are just a matter of improvement over ones previous very last monetary position. GTL events are never losing events.
end edit
sagefr0g said:
the question far as the idea of a GTL, may be, so what? so, consider:
My question is very much still just 'what?'.

Taking the first of the above quotes literally makes it seem like you are just talking about a winning session when you speak of a 'GTL event'. But I'm sure that's not what you are trying to say.

My best guess (which could be applied either to the results of sessions or of individual hands) is -

If we define a 'downturn' as the first loss following a sequence of one or more wins, a GTL event occurs when you once again reach/surpass the bankroll you had prior to the downturn.

Last edited:

sagefr0g

London Colin said:
It looks like part of the confusion here is that you have shifted the focus from hands to sessions. ATH, as we have been discussing it, applies to the result of each and every hand. While, as a practical matter, it may only be possible to keep track of changes in bankroll when you cash in your chips, if you want to define ATH in terms of these end-of-session snapshots, then the probability of being at an ATH will go up with the length of your sessions.
would you agree that any given hand of blackjack falls short of constituting a 'complete play' with respect to the concept of ATH s equivalence to expected value for an advantage play card counter, when you consider any given blackjack hand with respect to the 'coin toss' example discussed in your earlier post?
https://www.blackjackinfo.com/commu...hat-is-card-counting.54893/page-2#post-491223
i mean just me maybe, some given hand of blackjack has an expected value, however when we think of expected value for our long term play of the game of blackjack, that becomes an issue of many hands of various types, combinations and variations of bet spread. point being, it seems the 'coin toss' example is a 'complete play', while any given hand of blackjack, not so much, however at some point, enough hands does constitute a 'complete play' comparable to the complete play the 'coin toss' game represents, sorta thing.
i should have stated that the snippet of data my graph represents is not data from blackjack, but another type of advantage play, that has a much lower N0 than blackjack, such that the sessions depicted come pretty close (but not always entirely) to a 'complete play' such as the coin toss example.
edit: i'm not trying to say, that there has to be N0 hands of blackjack to constitute a 'complete play', i really have no idea how many hands it would take to constitute a 'complete play', just i suspect it would be a rather large number of hands. end edit

My question is very much still just 'what?'.

Taking the first of the above quotes literally makes it seem like you are just talking about a winning session when you speak of a 'GTL event'. But I'm sure that's not what you are trying to say.

My best guess (which could be applied either to the results of sessions or of individual hands) is -

If we define a 'downturn' as the first loss following a sequence of one or more wins, a GTL event occurs when you once again reach/surpass the bankroll you had prior to the downturn.
i was referring to a winning session far as what i was calling a GTL, but didn't even realize it until you phrased it that way. i was originally looking at it from the perspective of cumulative results with respect to the previous session s cumulative results, but yes, that is the same as a winning session.

Last edited:

London Colin

sagefr0g said:
would you agree that any given hand of blackjack falls short of constituting a 'complete play' with respect to the concept of ATH s equivalence to expected value for an advantage play card counter, when you consider any given blackjack hand with respect to the 'coin toss' example discussed in your earlier post?
https://www.blackjackinfo.com/commu...hat-is-card-counting.54893/page-2#post-491223
I don't think the term 'a complete play' has any meaning at all. Plus, the equivalence between expected value and ATH probability for blackjack card counting is something we have really only speculated about, based on what we know about the coin toss (and the neatness of the quoted 1.6% figure).

Mathematically there is no such thing as a session. Your gambling is just one long sequence of individual events. You can think about sessions for psychological reasons (and because you necessarily have session-based records to look back on). But when thinking about a game in the abstract, analysing what you can expect to happen in the long run, it's just one hand after another.

sagefr0g said:
i was referring to a winning session far as what i was calling a GTL, but didn't even realize it until you phrased it that way. i was originally looking at it from the perspective of cumulative results with respect to the previous session s cumulative results, but yes, that is the same as a winning session.
Wow. In that case you have a rare talent for making incredibly simple things seem incredibly complicated!:p

sagefr0g

London Colin said:
I don't think the term 'a complete play' has any meaning at all. Plus, the equivalence between expected value and ATH probability for blackjack card counting is something we have really only speculated about, based on what we know about the coin toss (and the neatness of the quoted 1.6% figure).
if your interested, i'll try and explain what i mean by the term 'complete play'. warning though, the explanation may be incredibly complicated. lol, warning though if you don't want it explained, then i may try and explain it to my wife and that may land up being the end of me.:oops:
just me maybe, the speculated equivalence of ATH probability and expected value smacks of valid reality for advantage plays in general. my suspicion is that the idea of a 'complete play' would be a needed hurdle to overcome in order for said equivalence to be managed mathematically in a practical manner.

Mathematically there is no such thing as a session. Your gambling is just one long sequence of individual events. You can think about sessions for psychological reasons (and because you necessarily have session-based records to look back on). But when thinking about a game in the abstract, analysing what you can expect to happen in the long run, it's just one hand after another.
ironically the same gent, xengrifter, whom first mentioned ATH in this thread, as i recall, years back on this site seemed to have a penchant for saying "..., it's just one long game".

Wow. In that case you have a rare talent for making incredibly simple things seem incredibly complicated!:p
finally, there is some one who agrees with my wife's theory about me.:oops:
infact, after telling her about your response, she virtually yelled glory halula, jumped up and down and sang your praise.o_O

London Colin

sagefr0g said:
just me maybe, the speculated equivalence of ATH probability and expected value smacks of valid reality for advantage plays in general. my suspicion is that the idea of a 'complete play' would be a needed hurdle to overcome in order for said equivalence to be managed mathematically in a practical manner.
You really should read Griffin's book to get a better understanding.

There is actually a section, after the coin-toss example, that looks at blackjack in a similar way. It's necessarily more complicated, and unfortunately it doesn't look at quite the same thing, dealing with how to calculate the probability of doubling your bankroll, rather than being at an ATH.

I've been loathe to quote isolated bits here, both in case I introduce any errors through my own [mis-]interpretations, and because I worry about how much of a book it is OK to reproduce before you are getting into the realms of piracy! (Plus, I've only ever skipped through some of the more complicated bits up to now.:oops:)

But I'll try and extract a few helpful snippets -

In the coin-toss example we repeatedly bet one unit, and we win one unit with probability p >0.5, and lose one unit with probability q = 1 - p.

Define x as the chance of always being ahead after the first toss, and y as the probability of never falling behind.

That is, x means you win the first toss and your bankroll never falls below this +1 level, and y means your bankroll never falls below its starting level.

You can write two simultaneous equations -
1) x = py
2) y = x + p(1-y)y

#1 says that to always stay ahead you must win the first toss (p) and then never fall behind (y) from this new position.

#2 says you're either always ahead (x) or you win the first toss (p), at some later point fall back to your original starting point (1 - y), and subsequently never fall behind your original starting point (y).

[Griffin phrases #2 differently, but I've tried to make it easier to understand, hopefully without making any mistakes.]

Solving those two simultaneous equations gives -
y = 2 - 1/p
x = 2p - 1

So there we have the proof that the probability of always being ahead is 2p - 1, which is also the expected value of the game.

There is then a neat graphical proof to show that this is the same thing as the probability of being at an all time high.

When playing blackjack there are multiple payoffs, and the number of units bet is not fixed.

Griffin gives a formula for approximating a value of p for a coin-toss game that is equivalent to a multiple-payoff game like blackjack -

Let EX be the expectation and ASR be the average squared result:
p = 1/2 + EX/(2 * sqrt(ASR))

So if we had an advantage off the top and were flat betting, we could definitely just calculate p, as above, and the ATH probability for the game would be 2p-1.

With a game that starts out with a house edge, and with varying bet size, maybe it is still valid to use the above formula, once EX and ASR have been calculated for an 'average hand'[*]. Or maybe a different approach is needed, using a table of different probabilities, corresponding to the chances of winning/losing every possible number of units that can be won/lost on a single hand.

It is actually from such a table that we get EX and ASR in the first place. Griffin gives a contrived example where he considers a game with possible results of -3 +2, -1, or 0 units won, calculates EX and ASR from the probabilities of these results, and uses EX and ASR as the input to a formula to approximate the chance of doubling a bankroll.

[*]An average hand being what you get when you consider the true count frequencies, their associated bet sizes, and the frequencies of the various different results (that can involve multiple splits and doubles).

London Colin

London Colin said:
Let EX be the expectation and ASR be the average squared result:
p = 1/2 + EX/(2 * sqrt(ASR))

So if we had an advantage off the top and were flat betting, we could definitely just calculate p, as above, and the ATH probability for the game would be 2p-1.
I knew I'd start revealing my ignorance if I attempted to go into this kind of detail.

Griffin does use that formula, but if we just wanted to make a coin-toss bet with the same percentage expectation then the formula would be trivial -
2p - 1 = EX
therefore, p = 1/2 +EX/2

I'm struggling to fully understand what's going on here (despite having read the explanation multiple times), but the principle seems to be that 1 unit bet in the coin toss game is required to be equivalent to sqrt(ASR) units in the real game.

I'm in a hole, so I'll stop digging.:)

sagefr0g

@London Colin ,
wowser, thank you. :confused:
just me maybe, it would take some kind of a low life author, low life ownership rights agent or low life publisher to be offended by such a discussion. doubtless there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, but also actions on the right side of such a line, such as this discussion, ought to be looked upon with a humble sense of pride by authors, ownership agents and publishers, imho.
that said, i too struggle with understanding how far one can go with respect to copyright sorta stuff. i know one thing though, i'm a definite predator when it comes to gleaning understanding visa v the minds of others and i don't have a problem with that, lol.
again, thank you.

sagefr0g

as an aside:
by the way, DSchles, writes about the matter of ATH, pg 17, Blackjack Attack. pretty much quotes Wong & Griffith regarding ATH and further discusses the heaven forbid chances of going, days, weeks, months, maybe even a year lower than ones previous ATH, sorta thing to paraphrase his writing. he also brings up how standard deviation is our friend and foe alike, sorta thing, with respect to the matter. also alludes to the fact that the greater the number of hands we play, the smaller the percentage of s.d. and that fluctuation will always be there, so play through the losing streaks, and enjoy the winning sessions.

not sure i'm interpreting Don's writing correctly on the matter regarding the greater the number of hands we play, the smaller the percentage of s.d., but that said i thought i'd include the excel snippet below. of interest i think is the table showing 'the chances of being ahead at the end of X hours of play' as i think it may illustrate how the smaller the percentage of s.d. comes into play.
the excel snippet is by the way from a copy of an excel spreadsheet a friend (a great piece of work on his part, imho) on this forum gave me years ago. i believe he gleaned a great amount of the information and formulas that make up the spreadsheet from Don's book Blackjack Attack. there are some page references visible in the spreadsheet.

betramp-jpg.9005

Last edited:

sagefr0g

previously,
"London Colin said:
I don't think the term 'a complete play' has any meaning at all. Plus, the equivalence between expected value and ATH probability for blackjack card counting is something we have really only speculated about, based on what we know about the coin toss (and the neatness of the quoted 1.6% figure)"

sagefr0g said:
if your interested, i'll try and explain what i mean by the term 'complete play'. warning though, the explanation may be incredibly complicated. lol, warning though if you don't want it explained, then i may try and explain it to my wife and that may land up being the end of me.:oops:
being extremely risk averse & avoiding the risk of being tempted to explain it to my wife, i decided to try and explain it here: https://www.blackjackinfo.com/community/threads/antifragility.54909/#post-491409

sagefr0g

London Colin said:
You really should read Griffin's book to get a better understanding.
It is actually from such a table that we get EX and ASR in the first place. Griffin gives a contrived example where he considers a game with possible results of -3 +2, -1, or 0 units won, calculates EX and ASR from the probabilities of these results, and uses EX and ASR as the input to a formula to approximate the chance of doubling a bankroll.
speaking of doubling a bankroll. edit: i wonder if the formula Griffin used can be related to the formula below.end edit
just thought i'd throw in another snippet from my friends spreadsheet. it has a formula for figuring the chance of doubling a bankroll. that formula is:
formula below gives chance of doubling roll
=SINH((D42/D38^2)*D1)/SINH(D42/D38^2*D88)*EXP(+D42/D38^2*D89)
D1 = kelly bank in units (essentially one's bankroll)
D42 = ev units/hand = mu
D38 = SD units/hand seen/played
D88 = total goal in units
D89 = win goal in units
the D#'s are cell references in the spreadsheet for the described parameters.
so the formula with parameters would be:
=SINH((ev/sd^2)*kelly bank)/SINH(ev/sd^2*total bank goal)*EXP(+ev/sd^2* win goal)

it's just crazy hard for me to understand how it is a hyperbolic sine formula is used to figure out the chance of doubling a bankroll o_O

note: SINH in excel is:
Description
Returns the hyperbolic sine of a number.
Syntax
SINH(number)

note: EXP in excel is:
Description
Returns e raised to the power of number. The constant e equals 2.71828182845904, the base of the natural logarithm.
Syntax
EXP(number)

note: in this post & picture of table the chance of reaching goal = 88.02% is the chance of doubling the bankroll, since the starting roll is ten grand and the goal roll is twenty grand, sorta thing.
sorry to conflate this discussion even more, just couldn't resist.:p

moreofspreadsheet-jpg.9006

Last edited:

KewlJ

Okay, so here's my little update to my ATH (all-time high) situation.

I am not quite back to my previous ATH, which occurred back in early October, so it's been 17 weeks or 120(ish) days since that last ATH. But I am reasonably close once again. What is reasonably close?....one good day. What is one good day? Well when I was $35 grand below that last ATH, I wasn't one good day away, since I have never had a 35K winning (or losing) day. I have never has a 30K winning day. I have had exactly one 20k winning day in 14 years, so that is a little too infrequent for me to consider within 20K....as one good day away. But I do have multiple (6-10 per year), 10k winning AND LOSING days each year, so within 10k is one good day away. And I am currently about half that.

So maybe I hit a new ATH tomorrow (not playing today) or maybe later in the week, or maybe next week. Or maybe my little climb back stalls or even god forbid reverses and it is another month or two or three. I don't really know (of course).

But my point is that these ATH come in groups. I haven't had one in 120(ish) days. But if I were to be fortunate enough to hit a new ATH tomorrow, there is a good chance I will hit a number in short order. I mean the following day, I only need a net profit of $1 to reach ANOTHER ATH. My experience has been hitting several in a row or in short order, before an eventual slide back that you need to re-climb the mountain.

I still say that based on my experiences, which even at 14 years is a small sample size, and I really don't have daily data for all those 14 years, just going by memory, but I still say, I am hitting an ATH greater than 1.5%. Even factoring the long periods months (100+ days) without an ATH, hitting several in short order makes my frequency far greater than 1.5% of the time. And I am not sure why my experiences would be so different? What am I missing?

Last edited:

sagefr0g

KewlJ said:
. And I am not sure why my experiences would be so different? What am I missing?
that's how i felt just thinking about it (https://www.blackjackinfo.com/commu...hat-is-card-counting.54893/page-2#post-491220).
but heck your living it, one can only imagine how it must seem to you.
so just me maybe, far as the ATH expectation, it's apparently a fact of life far as expectations go, a seemingly paradoxical fact of life, like the birthday paradox, sorta thing. but expectations are an abstraction, not real life events. do the math to the real life events (ie. average it) and the answer should be the expectation.
that said, we live life and as we do the experience brutal, mundane or exhilarating as it may be, those experiences don't seem so paradoxical. :rolleyes:
haven't read it, but i believe the book, Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, sheds some light on such anomalies of the mind.

21forme

KJ - I agree with you that it's more than 1.5%. I've gone for months at a time without an ATH and other times (like since the beginning of 2017) I hit new ATHs each week.

London Colin

21forme said:
KJ - I agree with you that it's more than 1.5%. I've gone for months at a time without an ATH and other times (like since the beginning of 2017) I hit new ATHs each week.
Let's say a week is 15 hours of actual play, or 1500 hands. For that amount of play, 1.5% means you should expect to average over twenty ATHs per week.

But, as has been said, there will be long stretches where you are nowhere near your ATH, and others where you are hitting new highs repeatedly.

KewlJ

I also am only tracking on an end of day basis. It is pretty impractical to be tracking any other way.

I was wondering if tracking only end of day results rather than every round, (which again is unrealistic) might have something to do with why the numbers ore higher? Doesn't seem to me like that should matter, but I am the brightest bulb, so what do I know.

All I can tell you is that I have end of day results for a little more than two years. That is 646 days played. And 48 of those days I ended at an ATH. That is better than 7%, which is significantly higher than 1.5%. In 2016 I ended the day with 25 ATH's which was 8% of my days played. And almost all my ATH's are bunched. 4, 5, 6, in a span of a week or two, then I fall back a bit and might go a month or two (on occasion 4 or 5) without a new ATH, Then another bunch of them in a row.

Doesn't really matter to me. I am not a guy that gets obsessed with numbers. It just seems like that 1.5 or 1.4 percent number that I recall, isn't close to what I experience and I am just wondering why? Are we comparing apples to oranges?

London Colin

KewlJ said:
I was wondering if tracking only end of day results rather than every round, (which again is unrealistic) might have something to do with why the numbers ore higher? Doesn't seem to me like that should matter, but I am the brightest bulb, so what do I know.
[....]
Doesn't really matter to me. I am not a guy that gets obsessed with numbers. It just seems like that 1.5 or 1.4 percent number that I recall, isn't close to what I experience and I am just wondering why? Are we comparing apples to oranges?
I would say you are indeed comparing apples to oranges. I tried to make this point earlier in reply to Sagefrog...
London Colin said:
If you think about it, the choice of tracking resolution is entirely arbitrary and personal. One person might play twice as many hands as another per day, another might track end-of-week, month or year.

The more hands in these tracked sessions, the more likely it must be that any given one has an ATH (particularly if the test is that it includes an ATH, rather than ends with one, but I think it must be true for end-of-session accounting too.)

E.g., if you record a series of end-of-year results, the probability that each and every one will represent a profit for the year (i.e. you will have a series of ATHs, ignoring fluctuations within the year) must surely be higher that doing the same thing for a series of end-of-day results. And, similarly, it will be higher for end-of-day than hand-by-hand.

sagefr0g

London Colin said:

E.g., if you record a series of end-of-year results, the probability that each and every one will represent a profit for the year (i.e. you will have a series of ATHs, ignoring fluctuations within the year) must surely be higher that doing the same thing for a series of end-of-day results. And, similarly, it will be higher for end-of-day than hand-by-hand.
the ATH 'frequency' value that one expects should converge ever closer to circa 1.6%, actual result-wise, the more rounds one plays, no? so if one records ones cumulative bankroll on a session by session basis, where those sessions contain a 'reasonably' close number of rounds, one would expect to come up with ATH numeric values close to 1.6%, no? or would the lack of preciseness of the 'reasonably close' number of rounds add up so much over time that it significantly skews the ATH 'frequency' value that one would compute?