Tournament Play

Rspeirsmlb

So I got invited to a weekend BJ tournament that starts in a few weeks. I RSVP'd and apparently there's no buy-in, I got my room comped, and the payout structure is pretty nice, (1st place $60k, 2nd $20k, etc.), so I thought, "Why the hell not?!" Get away for the weekend and play some BJ......tourney style. I've read a little bit on how it is played, but I don't know any good strategies yet. I know most of it is luck, but does any one out there have any good strategies or suggestions? Are there any good sites to practice tourney play for free? or for any :confused: advice? Has anyone had any luck in these?! Thanks.

Rspeirsmlb

I haven't either, only other one I've got invited to had like a $200 buy-in, but I didn't go to it. I RSVP'd and I asked what th buy-in was....she said "There's noo buy-in."...

SPX

I played in one tournament, which I got into for free. Top prize was $8,000 so $60K does seem like something's wrong there.

As for tournament play, there's a lot of luck, but a lot of it also has to do with keeping up with other people's chip count. My personal experience went a little something like this:

I began playing at the first of 10 tables and was knocked out. But due to a drawing I was later brought back into the game. I was three tables away from the final table. On the first table I had to get 1st place to advance. It came down to me and one other guy. We both bet big on the last hand and I got a BJ and he busted out. I moved onto the next table and had to get at least 2nd place, which is exactly what happened.

I moved onto the final table and my luck basically ran out. I came in 6th (out of 7) for a rather disappointing $200.

I haven't played in another tournament since, but I would like to.

rookie789

BJ Tournaments

Rspeirsmlb; The best tournament site is blackjacktournaments.com, a sister site to this. You can post questions and get answers from members concerning tournaments in the forums as well as search archives for specific topics.

A must read is Ken Smith's ebook HOW TO WIN MORE BLACKJACK TOURNAMENTS which can be purchased at this sites store for $14.95 which should change your stated opinion "I know most of it is luck". Good luck can win any tournament and often does but knowledge and strategy can help compensate for bad luck/bad cards.

Determine if the tournament is elimination or accumulation format as the strategy differs.

shadroch this may be an invitational not free roll tournament and makes sense as the rooms are comped.

Last edited:

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Freeroll invitationals that award that amount and much more are out there. $200,000 is not an unusual first place prize for some venues.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Usually this level of invite requires a theoretical daily loss of at least $1000, and often much more. There are still positive EV plays to be found in this world though, particularly for players who can manipulate the rating system in their favor. Of course, the high variance of tournament play makes this an advantage play only for those who are very well bankrolled.

Doofus

Question for the house:

Since - as I understand it - one does not engage in constant counting in a blackjack tournament, does participation in blackjack tournaments mean anything positive or negative for counters? I too have gotten an invitation to play in a tournament, and am weighing whether or not to participate. I rather prefer making money by counting to just playing in tournaments where luck (and bet sizing) is paramount.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Fears of being identified as a counter because you participate in tournaments is largely overblown. In fact, I've never heard of any situation where someone said they felt that their eventual back-off from the live tables was caused by tournament participation.

You may not enjoy tournaments, or actively seek them out, but I wouldn't skip them for fear of drawing too much attention. Play them if you think there's value, and don't sweat it.

Doofus

KenSmith said:
Fears of being identified as a counter because you participate in tournaments is largely overblown. In fact, I've never heard of any situation where someone said they felt that their eventual back-off from the live tables was caused by tournament participation.

You may not enjoy tournaments, or actively seek them out, but I wouldn't skip them for fear of drawing too much attention. Play them if you think there's value, and don't sweat it.
Thank you for the info, Ken!