Trigger Happy Dealer

StandardDeviant

I had a hand today where the count was high enough to justify staying when BS called for a hit. The dealer was the relief dealer and she had just come to the table, so I wasn't familiar with her habits yet. Before I could open my mouth to stop her, she hit me. I looked down at my hands. Had I moved them in some way that could have been interpreted as "hit me?" No! They were folded and it actually looked like I was praying, which maybe I should have been, but that's another story!

Fortunately, the hit improved my hand and I won the round. I decided not to say anything, because I didn't want to call attention to my intended, non-standard play. I decided to wait to see if it would happen again. It didn't.

I wonder what would have happened if I made a stink about it? I'm sure this has happened to many of you. How did you handle it and what were the results?

daddybo

It will usually work in your favor. The dealer will call the PB over and he'll decide. You may be admonished if you did something that could be interpreted as a hit. Usually they will ask the next player if he wants it and keep going.

I was working through a very negative dd game one day and was watching a football game at the same time. The dealer had been giving me low cards and I had been signaling hit for many hands. This round she dealt me an 18 against an upcard that I don't remember... anyway, I signaled hit and realized my hand at the same moment the card hit the table... I said, "damn, I wasn't paying attention!" (as I flipped over my 18). I was going to eat it.. after all I did signal her to hit. She insisted on calling the PB over. (she knew I hadn't been hitting those hands) He laughed and asked if any body wanted it. All declined .. it was burnt.. and away we went.

Another time I did on a hard 17 and received a 4!.. I smiled said "oops" and kept it.

This kind of thing happens all the time. Be courteous and honest.. They can usually tell if your scamming them or not.

Last edited:

Thunder

I've had this happen to me many times. They assume that you're playing basic strategy so if you're going to deviate from it, you have to be kind of quick or they'll skip you. That said, it is their responsibility to ensure that you want to stand or hit or double or whatever. I once had a royal @$$ of a dealer who because I didn't put both piles outside of the betting circle, even though one of them was, decided to double down my hand vs. splitting them like I wanted, without even asking. I got the PB involved and after that she was livid at me, almost gloating whenever I lost a hand, so yeah you do have to be careful with some of those dealers.

daddybo

above not my technique

On the part about the dealer that can read your mind and deals you what they think you want... if you will tell them that's not what you wanted to do and NOT call the PB over. (unless its some tremendous bet). The dealer will usually make up for it by over paying you on another hand or paying a push/loser... I have that happen quite often.. they appreciate you not causing them trouble.

Last edited:

21forme

If it didn't go your way and you made a fuss, they would rule in your favor.

I had something similar happen recently - Dealer had an Ace showing, I was about to push out an INS bet as the count called for it, and she looked at me and said "take that back, I already checked."

Ls

StandardDeviant said:
I had a hand today where the count was high enough to justify staying when BS called for a hit. The dealer was the relief dealer and she had just come to the table, so I wasn't familiar with her habits yet. Before I could open my mouth to stop her, she hit me. I looked down at my hands. Had I moved them in some way that could have been interpreted as "hit me?" No! They were folded and it actually looked like I was praying, which maybe I should have been, but that's another story!

Fortunately, the hit improved my hand and I won the round. I decided not to say anything, because I didn't want to call attention to my intended, non-standard play. I decided to wait to see if it would happen again. It didn't.

I wonder what would have happened if I made a stink about it? I'm sure this has happened to many of you. How did you handle it and what were the results?
A short while AGO A dealer misread my wave off and hit me, I busted, like I had 18 dealer 6. I told the dealer I did not want to hit but just let it go this time, didn't want a fuss. Another player went ballistic over what had happened and carried on like you would not believe becoming very abusive to the pit and dealer...later I apologized to the dealer and pit for his abuse.

Things happen, but you must establish right off in these instances that you are to be respected, and no one plays your hand but you.

The emotions at a BJ table are truly something to behold...often:yikes:

CP

psyduck

I am never rude to the dealers when I lose. It is the variance that keeps killing me. Plus, my dealers are native Americans. They are always friendly to me. As far as I am concerned, they are the owner of this land.

shadroch

The trick is to have a very mixed signal. Bring your hands mostly towards you but move them side to side as well. Blur the distinction as much as possible until the one time when a dealer gives you a hit and it hurts you. Then state you didn't want a card. 99% of the time the pit will give you the benefit of the doubt. It's a handy trick but can be used only once in most circumstances.

Cardcounter

If the dealer accidentally hits you should only call the pit boss over if she busted your hand if she did not than just move on like it was what you wanted.

Albee

would you have won your hand?

Just curious, if you did not get that card, would you have still won that hand? If the answer is yes, then kindly let the dealer know that from now on, please don't hit me unless I signal for a hit. Not a biggie....

Usually if you complain and it has to do with the staff messing up in any way shape or form they will most of the time give the whole table the option of pulling out of the hand, or sometimes if no one complians they will simply burn the card and continue play. All depends on how much you complain and how much was being bet, if your putting down big money they may check the tapes first but once they see you did not signal they will let you out of the hand.

StandardDeviant

Albee said:
Just curious, if you did not get that card, would you have still won that hand? If the answer is yes, then kindly let the dealer know that from now on, please don't hit me unless I signal for a hit. Not a biggie....

Yes, the dealer broke, so I would have won anyway. I decided not to make a point of it on this hand since I didn't want to call attention to my non-standard play.

If it happened a second time (which it did not) I would have said something.

aslan

I was recently playing two hands in a DD game with a fast dealer. I like my first hand and tucked the cards under my chips, then quickly scooped up my second hand which the dealer interpreted as scratching for a hit. He hit me quickly and we had to call the PB over. As it turned out, I had an A-8 v. a dealer 6, which no one in their right mind would hit. The hit card was a 9, which would have reduced my hand. The PB ruled in my favor. In the end, it didn't matter because the dealer would have busted in either case.

Hand jive!

That's one variant of what I call the hand jive. It's the equivalent of drawing an opposing lineman off-sides in a football game. Can be very profitable, but you don't want to use it too much in one store.

Kasi

StandardDeviant said:
The dealer was the relief dealer and she had just come to the table,. Before I could open my mouth to stop her, she hit me. I looked down at my hands. Had I moved them in some way that could have been interpreted as "hit me?" No!
Almost nothing p*sses me off more than a dealer playing my hand for me. Right now, I can't think of anything that p*sses me off more.

The first hand a new dealer deals me, I make no hand-signal at all. If she hits my 5,2, I ask if I made some kind of hand-signal or not. If I have 10,10 and she blows by me, I ask if I had indicated in any way with a hand-signal that I wanted to stand. If they wait for me to decide on an obvious hand, I already know they are fine.

Usually, they just admit they assumed and I say please don't again becasue sometimes I have hunches and play in a way she may not be expecting.

If I already know it's already a high count before the relief dealer I've never seen before comes in, which obviously I do, and therefore know I am going to be betting more than usual, I ask her to wait for a hand-signal before she deals anything or at least make sure she don't do nothing before she either deals me a card or deals the guy to my left a card.

If someone wants to intentionally use that use-once-only as a strategy play that "I'll only bitch if I don't like the card she dealt me" game that's cr*p to me. I just like to make sure the house and me both play the game the way it's meant to be played.

Usually it's fine.

Sometimes some fast-dealing, assuming dealer takes offense and that's when the fun, for me anyway, begins lol.

I don't give them the chance to do it once. If they do do it once, and it was my fault to begin with in the first place I recognize that and I'm only mad at myself and deal with it at that point.

When they do it the first time, unless I screwed up to begin with, it's already way way too late for them.

"You can do anything but don't step on my blue-suede (play my cards for me) shoes"

Sometimes it happens an hour or more later when they have apparently "forgotten" and they actually do play my cards for me.

Let's just put it this way, by the time I'm done throwing my fastball down the middle, it has never, ever happened a second time to me with the same dealer that I can remember.

What is your excuse for allowing it to happen once?

Kasi

Kasi said:
Almost nothing p*sses me off more than a dealer playing my hand for me. Right now, I can't think of anything that p*sses me off more.

The first hand a new dealer deals me, I make no hand-signal at all. If she hits my 5,2, I ask if I made some kind of hand-signal or not. If I have 10,10 and she blows by me, I ask if I had indicated in any way with a hand-signal that I wanted to stand. If they wait for me to decide on an obvious hand, I already know they are fine.

Usually, they just admit they assumed and I say please don't again becasue sometimes I have hunches and play in a way she may not be expecting.

If I already know it's already a high count before the relief dealer I've never seen before comes in, which obviously I do, and therefore know I am going to be betting more than usual, I ask her to wait for a hand-signal before she deals anything or at least make sure she don't do nothing before she either deals me a card or deals the guy to my left a card.

If someone wants to intentionally use that use-once-only as a strategy play that "I'll only bitch if I don't like the card she dealt me" game that's cr*p to me. I just like to make sure the house and me both play the game the way it's meant to be played.

Usually it's fine.

Sometimes some fast-dealing, assuming dealer takes offense and that's when the fun, for me anyway, begins lol.

I don't give them the chance to do it once. If they do do it once, and it was my fault to begin with in the first place I recognize that and I'm only mad at myself and deal with it at that point.

When they do it the first time, unless I screwed up to begin with, it's already way way too late for them.

"You can do anything but don't step on my blue-suede (play my cards for me) shoes"

Sometimes it happens an hour or more later when they have apparently "forgotten" and they actually do play my cards for me.

Let's just put it this way, by the time I'm done throwing my fastball down the middle, it has never, ever happened a second time to me with the same dealer that I can remember.

What is your excuse for allowing it to happen once?
Last weekend a very good, pretty, deeply cutting dealer blew by me twice on insurance that I would have taken that cost me over a hundred.

She was also a speed demon.

Normally I would have raised hell, but she was so very nice I wimped out.

CP

StandardDeviant

Kasi said:
I can. Barney Frank. But I guess that response belongs in another forum. :laugh:

Koseao

creeping panther said:
Last weekend a very good, pretty, deeply cutting dealer blew by me twice on insurance that I would have taken that cost me over a hundred.

She was also a speed demon.

Normally I would have raised hell, but she was so very nice I wimped out.

CP
You were too nice! Speed demons I like most the time because I like to speed through verse have to sit there and wait for my second card! BUT when they start choosing for me on how my hand is to be played I get upset. If they want to play my money they don't get tips. I like nice dealers but even I can put on a sweet face and that shouldn't mean I should get away with not doing my job. You're nice. Maybe I will follow in your footsteps and not let out the b*tch next time they think I want to hit on a 14vs4.