Trip Bank Roll

Morphy

I am going to try and articulate this question properly. Here it goes...

My question is How do I know how much of my total bank roll to bring for a trip? Also with my Trip bank roll is there a way to asses Risk of Ruin with the amount I brought?

example..

Assuming that my entire bankroll of cash is not accessible when I leave town all I have is my trip BR. Obviously you don't intend to play 200 + hours with a Trip BR. Is there a general rule for how much to play to keep ROR low?

Will try to clarify if nobody understands my gibberish...

gronbog

Blackjack Attack III has a chapter about trip bankrolls and RoR. CVCX will help you tune it to you style of play.

sagefr0g

yes there are ways to asses ROR for a trip roll.
as gronbog stated, BJAIII and CVCX can help you.
as an aside the tables pictured can give a bit of insight regarding the matter (just an example for a given game)
https://www.blackjackinfo.com/community/attachments/betramp-jpg.9005/
https://www.blackjackinfo.com/community/attachments/moreofspreadsheet-jpg.9006/
edit: using CVCX will vastly turn all that complication into a relatively smooth operation on your part to determine trip roll & trip ROR. end edit

Last edited:

Fenix

There are probably better ways, but I like to look at CVCX. I type in the greatest variance game I plan to play and how many hours I plan to play. If I plan to play more than 100 hands an hour, I adjust the hours accordingly. Then I find the SD for those hours and bring at least 3 SD worth with me.

Meistro

Another related question is what is the minimum number of max bets you can start a round with, assuming you have been losing and are down to a fraction of your starting triproll. Assuming you are playing one spot I think 6 is a decent compromise. 8 is the theoretical maximum minimum in typical rules, because you could resplit 4 times and double on all four hands. But I think going from 1 bet to 6 is already sufficiently unlikely. I'd guess about 1 in 10,000 but that is just total speculation. Depends on rules too of course, if you are playing in a game with no respliting and no double after split 2 max bets is fine to start a round.

Last edited:

Meistro

Well your chance of resplitting is already 1 in 13 or 7.69%. So your chance of resplitting to four hands is I think %.004 or 1 in 25,000? Not sure if my math is correct here I did 8% to the 4th power for ease of calculation. And actually this over states the case because it assumes you are always resplitting, when in reality you are only going to decide to split your pairs some of the time. so it should be 2.5% * 8% * 8% *8% or %.00128 that you will end up resplitting to 4 hands. And only 10% of the time you will get a double, although perhaps more often than that with splits since you are more likely to split against cards that you will be apt to double against such as five or six.

Meistro

Actually I guess there are one too many 8%s in there. So 2.5% * 8% * 8% will get you 4 hands. or .016% or roughly 1 in 6000 hands you will have to resplit to 4 hands. So I estimate you will have to put 6 bets or more in play starting with one roughly every 300,000 to 400,000 rounds. My math here is pretty rough so I could be way off.