Trying to track down an app for Android...

There was an app for Android OSes (smartphone) on the Google Play store that I used about a year or two ago that was pretty handy for cc'ing practice. I've been trying to track it down, but I've forgotten the name of it and my searching hasn't been successful yet. If anyone knows the name of the one that I'm talking about, reply here or PM the name of it to me when you can. Some more details that I remember of the app follow...
It was a free app. It had several practice modes, but the one that I liked a lot was the "full table mode", or something like that; where the app would deal a table full of cards and then the user was supposed to enter the correct table count. I liked that mode of practice 'cause my counting speed had plateaued and I wanted to get faster. The app would keep stats on things like the total nuber of rounds counted, speed, and correct answers, so that the user could track his/her progress and maybe spot some of the weaker areas of his/her game. The app was relatively basic (not like CVBJ or anything), but it was useful for cc'ing practice when there was time to kill in certain situations (Dr. appointment waits, cigarette breaks, TV commercials, etc).
So far, I've checked Google Play, Google search, the apkmirror site, and a couple of other oddball sites, but I can't seem to find it and started to wonder if it has been discontinued or something. If anyone should happen to know the name of it, let me know. Thanks.

DeepNet has some good software too. I sometimes practice with Mentor and Counter on a desktop PC. I'm only aware of one app that they make for Android phones, and it's a pay version. Since I already have experience with their desktop software, it's probably worth the price, but I'm just too cheap to spring for it right now (and I also have a lot of other free software too keep me busy). CVBJ and DeepNet Tech software were two of the ones that I looked into first when I just got into smartphones a couple of years ago. I'd also like to give Smartcards a try, but there's no demo version that I know of.

I'm starting to think that the app in the OP that I was looking for has vanished from the internet. It's a pitty 'cause I really liked it for backcounting practice and things like that. I'm only a hobbyist programmer, but maybe I'll someday code a barebones prog just for myself (since it'll likely to be without bells or whistles and the code's readability probably won't sit well with purists). Most likely it'll be in either Python or QuickBasic (just got back into that language). If it ever happens, it'll combine a lot of the functionality of the apps in the OP, with some stuff added to it and some other stuff that I don't need/want taken away. I'd definitely add some type of full table drill like that app in the OP had. I've exhausted nearly all of the searches for it at the various places that I seen advertising it awhile back. If I don't give up on the search, I guess I'll start looking around on some of the more unconventional places it could be.

Thanks bigoak. I'll take a look at that app shortly.

Edit: It took a little longer than I thought it would for me to get around to looking at it, but that app looks like it might be worth something. I'll probably try it out either tonight or tomorrow. Thx.

Edit again: That's a pretty good app for Basic Strategy drills. I'm not sure about the counting drills, but I'm going to keep the app around for a bit. I'll post more on it later when I finish getting the text together.

Last edited:
That Blackjack All-In-One Trainer is pretty good, for what it does and the price. I just use it for the BS drills so far, and don't plan on getting the full version any time soon since I've got a few CC'ing practice apps already. If I could've found some decent screenshots of Blackjack All-In-One Trainer's counting drills I may have considered buying the full version if it had a full table counting drill (like the app in the OP). All in all, though, B A-I-O T is a lot easier and quicker to to learn Basic Strategy with than paper flashcards. I've only drilled about 1,200 BS hands so far, so I hope that no bugs crop up in the future with the app. One thing I noticed right away is that sometimes it'll get hung up on one particular hand and drill that one maybe 4 or 5 times in a row (that'll make a person cuss after awhile). Thanks for the recommend. I'll go to their website later and leave a much more detailed review, since it's actually a useful app (for the price). I'll probably give it a 4 out of 5 rating.

The very first BS drill (BS "all hands"), I only got about %97.4 correct because of some misreading of hands and tapping the wrong button (there placement is too close together on my little phone). I've gotten %100 on the short drills (hard, soft, and paired hands); and above %99 on the several other full drills (all hands). I also like the fact that its BS chart matches mine almost exactly, except for the one hand. That's the A,7 vs 5 matchup. The app says to D/s it, whereas the chart I use says to D/h it, But that little difference hasn't even come up yet. I'll go back and have another look at some Hand EV charts to make sure that I've memorized the correct play for an 8 decker (late surrender, DOA, DAS, resplit A's to 3hands, split A's only receive 1card, etc).

DoIsplitem said:
That Blackjack All-In-One Trainer is pretty good, for what it does and the price. I just use it for the BS drills so far, and don't plan on getting the full version any time soon since I've got a few CC'ing practice apps already. If I could've found some decent screenshots of Blackjack All-In-One Trainer's counting drills I may have considered buying the full version if it had a full table counting drill (like the app in the OP). All in all, though, B A-I-O T is a lot easier and quicker to to learn Basic Strategy with than paper flashcards. I've only drilled about 1,200 BS hands so far, so I hope that no bugs crop up in the future with the app. One thing I noticed right away is that sometimes it'll get hung up on one particular hand and drill that one maybe 4 or 5 times in a row (that'll make a person cuss after awhile). Thanks for the recommend. I'll go to their website later and leave a much more detailed review, since it's actually a useful app (for the price). I'll probably give it a 4 out of 5 rating.

The very first BS drill (BS "all hands"), I only got about %97.4 correct because of some misreading of hands and tapping the wrong button (there placement is too close together on my little phone). I've gotten %100 on the short drills (hard, soft, and paired hands); and above %99 on the several other full drills (all hands). I also like the fact that its BS chart matches mine almost exactly, except for the one hand. That's the A,7 vs 5 matchup. The app says to D/s it, whereas the chart I use says to D/h it, But that little difference hasn't even come up yet. I'll go back and have another look at some Hand EV charts to make sure that I've memorized the correct play for an 8 decker (late surrender, DOA, DAS, resplit A's to 3hands, split A's only receive 1card, etc).
Thanks for checking out Blackjack All-In-One Trainer! As for the full version I have some more promo codes so I can let you unlock it for free (I'll PM you). BAIOT does have some really nice counting drills that I hope you'll check out. I'm currently working on an update that will allow you to just tap or swipe the table to perform actions. I'll see if I can make the buttons slightly bigger to avoid mis-clicks. If you have any other recommendations to go into the next update please let me know @ [email protected]. Also, I'm working on a multiplayer Blackjack that actually follows real table rules with penetrations, etc. It will also track your actions and give you a more real evaluation of your play while other players play along with you. In the next month or 2 I will be building a beta tester list so if you're interested please let me know as well.

Edit: The A-7 v 5 play is a close one. I'll run some simulations on that in the next week or two to see which one has a higher EV.

Last edited:

gronbog

No need to run a sim. A,7 vs 5 is a basic strategy DS for every rule set that I am aware of. DoIsplitem, what is the rule set for the card you have that says DH?

gronbog said:
No need to run a sim. A,7 vs 5 is a basic strategy DS for every rule set that I am aware of. DoIsplitem, what is the rule set for the card you have that says DH?
yeah, I would imagine if A,7 v 4 is DS then A,7 v 5 would be DS so not sure how A,7 v 5 would be the only difference on that chart.

Yeah, I went back and double checked myself. The A7vs5 matchup is a D/s. Must of been a typ-o or something on my part when I was putting the chart together. I don't think/remember that particular play coming up too often but it'll definitely be easier for me to remember the BS for A7vs2-A now. When I first put the chart together, I used the Hand EV chart that Cacarulo authored and put on bjmath.com (I use the wayback machine to get there nowadays). He put several charts on that page - the one that's like the games that I see is [bjmath.com - 8D, S17, DOA, DAS, RSA=0, RSP=4; EV=~ -0.43)]. When I looked at it yesterday, the EV's that it gave me were: Double EV = 0.301866; Stand EV = 0.202229; & Hit EV = 0.150933. I've made the change in my chart from D/h to D/s. Ha ha, now I'm all paranoid. That, coupled with the fact that I'm a bit anal about certain things makes me want to go back and double check every other play in my BS chart :) Looking back, I don't think I've played enough of that matchup to make a major difference, but It's always good to get closer to perfection with all of this stuff.

Thanks bigoak. I'll take a look at that app shortly.

Edit: It took a little longer than I thought it would for me to get around to looking at it, but that app looks like it might be worth something. I'll probably try it out either tonight or tomorrow. Thx.

Edit again: That's a pretty good app for Basic Strategy drills. I'm not sure about the counting drills, but I'm going to keep the app around for a bit. I'll post more on it later when I finish getting the text together.