Update on first real effort...

aslan

blackjack avenger said:
You still did the act of recognizig one card at a time, you just skipped the easiest skill and went to a harder drill. Only a study would determine which way was faster in learning. Also, only a study would determine wether holding physical cards vs cards on a screen would be faster for learning. I would guess the computer could be a faster learning tool because no down time shuffling, all things being equal.
...at the sacrifice of some realism. I learned using the computer myself, but I think it's a personal preference.

Last edited:
When I first became interested I used actual decks to countdown and practice the "flow" of a real game (ala "Blackjack School"). However, the last four months i've been using my "Advantage Blackjack" app (Android). It has some good drills, including counting down a deck of cards, plus I dont have to lug around a deck where ever I go. Plus its free which is always a bonus. Despite all this, it can only get you so far - which is what I learned this last trip. I look forward to learning and practicing even more.

Albee

I have to ask.....is KO really the best to use for single or double deck?

I would think, 1-deck would be easier with hi-low or another balanced count.

Glad to hear you did well.

Well, it's like this: I had been studying and starting to use hi-lo, but then read about reKO in Modern Blackjack. I was looking for something that was simple for whatever game I was playing. And, my understanding is that it is only slightly less powerful than hi-lo. Being the newb that I am, I decided to go with trade off a little accuracy for simplicity.

aslan

Albee said:
I have to ask.....is KO really the best to use for single or double deck?

I would think, 1-deck would be easier with hi-low or another balanced count.

Glad to hear you did well.
I've played a ton of double deck with KO with no problems. The main thing I find with double deck is game selection. The rest, any count will do. But since you're in a play all mode, for the most part, with single or double deck, a few extra indexes would not hurt.