Using wife as cover/partner

I am new to card counting. Have gone a couple times now and come out ahead both times. All the while my wife is throwing away money at the slots :) What if she was to come to the table with me (she is *not* a counter and would not even arouse such suspicion) What if she came to the table with me and bet normally while I "coach" her on basic strategy for all to see as hands are dealt. But we have a way for me to signal to her to increase her bets when the count is good. Then we bet as if I was playing two hands by myself. Seems like potential good cover..any thoughts?

Dog Hand

deepgritz,

Your act should also include a "do the opposite of what I'm saying" signal. For example, she gets 10 vs. the dealer's 10, but the count is high enough that doubling is the correct move. You tell her, "Just hit that: don't double" while stepping (gently!) on her foot, thus letting her know that doubling is indeed correct. This gives her the opportunity to "spurn your advice" and "play her hunch", which also gives the two of you something meaningless to discuss at the table.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Dog Hand said:
deepgritz,

Your act should also include a "do the opposite of what I'm saying" signal. For example, she gets 10 vs. the dealer's 10, but the count is high enough that doubling is the correct move. You tell her, "Just hit that: don't double" while stepping (gently!) on her foot, thus letting her know that doubling is indeed correct. This gives her the opportunity to "spurn your advice" and "play her hunch", which also gives the two of you something meaningless to discuss at the table.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
That's good..I like it!....

johndoe

A tried and true strategy, with a good act it works pretty well. Think about ways to get more money on the table, or have one or both take a break from time to time. Another option, if she's up for it, is to do an insurance count separately. That can improve EV a fair bit. But she has to be competent with it.

KewlJ

I developed a pretty good act with my late partner. He was 20 years older than me, so we played it like a father/son act. Upon his signal that the count was strong I would wander over to his table and inquire about eating dinner or lunch. He would respond "after this shoe". At that point I had two options. I could either join him, buy in and bet big for the remained of the shoe or and this was my personal favorite, I would encourage him to bet much bigger, with some sort of comment about making some money before we ate. At times, "goating" or teasing him.

This worked incredibly well. Never had a problem and more often than not, would have dealer and even pit joining in with my encouragement (of betting bigger). And we had pre-announced our departure point.

The point is to be creative. You would be surprised at all the cover stuff you can do depending on your situation.

Last edited:

BoSox

KewlJ said:
I developed a pretty good act with my late partner. He was 20 years older than me, so we played it like a father/son act. Upon his signal that the count was strong I would wander over to his table and inquire about eating dinner or lunch. He would respond "after this shoe". At that point I had two options. I could either join him, buy in and bet big for the remained of the shoe or and this was my personal favorite, I would encourage him to bet much bigger, with some sort of comment about making some money before we ate. At times, "goating" or teasing him.
I would assume that success at getting away with doing this would depend heavily not only on the spread used and the size of the bets but also on what you were actually doing in your activity prior to getting the signal.

KewlJ

BoSox said:
I would assume that success at getting away with doing this would depend heavily not only on the spread used and the size of the bets but also on what you were actually doing in your activity prior to getting the signal.
I guess you are inferring surveillance may back track me to pick up info. I can't swear it never happened. All I can say is we never had a problem. I can't judge what surveillance is or isn't buying. All I can say is that most of the time the pit seemed 'on board'.

But it is one of those things you can only use selectively. Do it too often and it backfires. We limited it to out of town play.

I remember in my early years in Atlantic City, there was a couple posing as newlyweds wonging into each other's games. Their story was that they were on their honeymoon. Was pretty convincing until I saw them a couple months later using the same act and story.

johndoe

KewlJ said:
I remember in my early years in Atlantic City, there was a couple posing as newlyweds wonging into each other's games. Their story was that they were on their honeymoon. Was pretty convincing until I saw them a couple months later using the same act and story.
I think Anderson talked about this exact thing in his book. Seems good for couples visiting occasionally, but no more than that. My gal and I used to do stuff like that (she got me into counting, originally), including goading each other to bet more, throwing my chips on top of her stack, etc.

Years ago at the Trop an older guy was counting at a table we joined, with a modest spread ($25-$200 I think), and quickly made us. He was pretty amused by the whole thing. We had a friendly chat away from the table when the count tanked.

Dog Hand said:
Your act should also include a "do the opposite of what I'm saying" signal. For example, she gets 10 vs. the dealer's 10, but the count is high enough that doubling is the correct move. You tell her, "Just hit that: don't double" while stepping (gently!) on her foot, thus letting her know that doubling is indeed correct.
Yes, all kinds of moves along those lines are good including - when she compulsively grabs a stack of your chips and you are betting minimum, and she slams major bets out on your spots as well - and you act a bit aghast and forlorn, and even remind her that that is why the two of you stopped gambling before, because she is too impulsive.

The above frankly will not work for most couples, because in most cases neither the wife nor the husband really have the talent to effectively operate like this.

johndoe said:
Another option, if she's up for it, is to do an insurance count separately. That can improve EV a fair bit. But she has to be competent with it.
Many wives will not go that far, although I do know a few that tried and actually proved to be better at it then the husbands - My wife excelled at a 10-count, so much so that we ended up giving her a playing and betting strategy to go with it. The initial reason for the 10-count was so that we would have stronger accuracy slamming down the lucky ladies sucker bets.

But the other side of it, is that for most wives trying to learn to count accurately will totally spoil the fun ... As will as well the frequent losing streaks...
... Just teach her the signaling for a fun night out, but do not become too entrenched mentally with this because you will probably need to play more frequently then she is up for.

MJGolf

This works better when it is NOT your wife who has a vested interest in winning/losing. I find that female partners or associates work better. The two hands, especially at a double deck game seems to work well. It's funny; the pit will give you problems about playing two hands individually but when there are two of you and you are "teaching" her, they seem to relax any such requirement.