What is a "Blackjack index"?

I'm sorry I just want to get the terminology down but is a blackjack index just basic strategy and the changes when there are rule changes in the game? I know that basic strategy changes slightly depending on the number of decks, weather surrendering is available, etc. I just want to make sure that this what is meant by "blackjack index" Thanks!

xengrifter said:
The "index" is the count at which we depart from BS.
These "count-indices" are the next learning step after BS is mastered.
So let's say once a count reaches maybe +4 that's when you deviate from BS?

Meistro

Exactly. As the count rises you are going to start doubling more aggressively and also start hitting less frequently. So for example 15 v T is a stay at TC +4. 16 v 9 is a stay at TC +5. 16 v 8 is a stay at TC +7. Normally these are all hits. You will also start to surrender more in high counts. Conversely, in lower counts you will hit more aggressively, surrender less frequently and also abstain from doubling as much. 10 v 9 is a hit at -1 and below. 11 v T / 9 is a hit at -4 or below.

Zero

Keep in mind that most of the index based adjustments to basic strategy will only increase your advantage by a fraction of a fraction of a percent. The exception to this is insurance. Basic strategy says never take insurance. The (HiLo) index for insurance is +3. So if the TC is 3+, then you should always take insurance. Learn the insurance index for your counting system and add it to your play immediately.