What is your Back-off/Barring:Deck Ratio???...

phantom007

In other words, what is your experience with Heat vs. #Decks?

So far, mine is 1:1 as regarding SD, DD, and 6D, and 0:1 =0 for BJ-mutants like SF-21 and Single-21.

Most all of "the books" and most all of "the posts" tell us that heat is highest at SD, and "cools off" as the # of decks increases. While I believe that this is true, so far, my experience is different, albeit I admit in advance that 3 Back-offs likely do not create a Statistically Significant Sample.

#1---DT-LV, SD, net 6:1 spread, 1-2 hands, 1 hr., won $750..."No More BJ". Mail offers ceased shortly thereafter.

#2---Tunica, 6D, net 10:1 spread, 1-2 hands, in 4 hrs., LOST $2,900. out of a total of $3,000. of several buy-ins....with $100 left, figuring this was not worth the trip to the Cage (I keep forgetting that that one Black is 2 months cable or 2 months cell phone or even #1000 packages of Ramen Noodles...local store had them on sale recently @ 10 for $1!) Switched back to Old Habits and started playing Progressive BJ....went from $2,900 behind to $2,000 AHEAD!
TAP!.....Flat Bet. Mail offers have decreased in value, since I obviously don't play there much anymore, though my "Comp Points", which were liberal since I played this store heavily for years, have remained intact, and are used by me frequently for RFB....i.e., I stay and eat there, and just play elsewhere.

#3---LV-Strip, DD, 4:1 spread, 1 hand, 6 hrs., ahead $1,100....TAP, "We don't want your action here anymore." Did she mean BJ, or any action? Mail offers have INCREASED in value!

Granted, #'s 2 & 3 SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED....I should have not have been there so long that I gained voting rights and had my mail delivered there, but otherwise, just curious as to the experience of others.

Thanks,

phantom007.

Never been backed off in a shoe game

Between SD and DD, I'd say it's about equal, of course I'm using a much bigger spread at DD so I would agree with the conventional wisdom about fewer decks = more heat.

my results

Never been backed off in 6D. All of mine were in SD/DD. None recently at all, as most of them could be directly attributed to playing too long at one table, which is a lesson I learned the hard way during my first couple or three years of counting. I now _never_ play one table more than an hour. And I try to never play one shift more than one hour either, so that I don't become "familiar" at all, although dealers will frequently remember me...

I don't play a lot of 6D, and when I do it is a mix of play-all at 1-20 spreading, or WI/WO when things are not crowded...

I haven't noticed much difference between SD/DD heat. They seem to attract about the same level of pit attention. Never tried SF21 or Spanish 21 or any of the sorta-BJ variants...

Stopwatch

Yes sounds like you play just like I do, right down to the 6D spread. My last pitch trip I worked on not camping out at them like I normally would in a shoe game when I find good pen. What I did was set the stopwatch on my cell phone for a time limit, then Wong out on my next negative count. The only times I got backed off were when I failed to do this.

another way

A couple of years ago, I convinced my kids to give me a Bulova "vibra-alarm" watch for Christmas. Has a "beep" alarm, or a "vibrate" alarm. I originally wanted it as a way to not miss a class, since I am often in a noisy place and a deep conversation can run longer than expected. But I quickly found that the vibrate-mode of the alarm was perfect for a BJ table. No noise. No lights. Just a sudden "buzz" that only I notice.

Earlier in my playing career, I would get "in the zone" (appologies to Elliot for usurping his title a bit) and forget about the time. In a SD/DD game, that can be a killer mistake. Now I never forget to leave on time, and the problems have been _far_ less frequent as a result...

I personally believe an idiot could figure out that I am counting, given enough time. :)

winning

You can win with a 1:4 DD spread. Just not as quickly. The idea is to spread as big as you can get away with. Spread too much and you have to spread 0-0 when you can't play... :)

Also it depends on your unit. $5-$20 is going to win maybe $10 per hour. $100-$400 will win maybe $200 per hour.

phantom007

Using the Bryce Carlson AOII method......

and the "clicking is driving me NUTS!"...see post..(click)...above in response to Mayor's Radio...(click)...post...(click).

M/L since (click...click) I have been a decent (click) CC'er, I have (click) used the Carlson (click) method of betting (click), which is (click) 2:1 for SD, 4:1 for (click) D(click)D, and 6:1 for (click) 6D....though I (click) often get nearly (click...click) twice this spread by going from (click) one-two-(click) hands (click).

I cannot (click) stand this (click) clicking any longer. (click). Going to (click) shut down (click) computer, and (click) start over (click).

Mayor, do you (click) know this (click...click) radio site requires (click) pop-ups (click)?

phantom(click)007(click).

(click)