When Should I start counting during a Game?

I am using the Hi/LO Count.

1 Question; I want to know when it is a good time to start counting.

1. When the dealer is done passing out the 2 cards for everyone(including the dealer) and you start counting before the first player decides to hit or stay with his hand.

For example; After passing out the 2 cards for all the players and dealer, the count is 2, and now you continue the count as the player starts hitting, splitting, DD more cards.

2. Or do you start counting when the first player starts hitting their hand, and then you carry that count over to the next player's hand until you finally get to the dealer.

For example
1st player's card = K/3 hits a 6 = count is +1
2nd player's card = Q/Q stays = count is -1 (the +1 count from the first player is carried over to the 2nd player).

Usually I count with the 2nd method, it gives me more time to count accurately. If I use the first method then I would have to speed through the count either while the dealer is passing out the card, or when dealer is done passing out the 2 cards for all the players and before they start playing their hand.

I would like some comments on this. Thank you!!! And feel free to share your experience and methods of counting while at the table.

2. Question

My friend wants to play on the same blackjack table as me, considering both of us are card counter, is there a point of us sitting on the same table and betting big when the count is highly positive? On one perspective we're are doubling the profit if we get a lucky run with the cards. On average our wins and lose will offset each other if either one of us win or lose. On the worst scenario, we can lose double the money(we're sharing bankroll) if the dealer wins.

What would you suggest us to do?

i change it up. I don't count the same way all the time. sometimes i wait till the second card(s) sometimes i count ever single card as soon as it is shown. The best answer is.,,,,, What works for you. The better you get, the more ways you come up with to keep from being caught.

StandardDeviant

I suggest you start counting when the dealer deals the second card to the player sitting most to the left, for example, at first base.

Don't wait until all players have their second cards and the first player is making her hit/no-hit decision. You want to see as many cards as possible before it is your turn to make a decision.

Last edited:

StandardDeviant

StandardDeviant said:
I suggest you start counting when the dealer deals the second card to the player sitting most to the left, for example, at first base
Having said this, icetrey's advice is very good too. I actually end up mixing it up a bit, for a variety of reasons.