When to double down when the count is negative?

I know that you should almost always double when you have 11 or 10, but when the count is negative, would you still double down because then there are more chances of getting a small card instead of a 10?

daddybo

dacent52 said:
I know that you should almost always double when you have 11 or 10, but when the count is negative, would you still double down because then there are more chances of getting a small card instead of a 10?
There is a point in negative counts where you don't double against just about anything. The particular indices depend on the count you are using.

assume_R

daddybo said:
There is a point in negative counts where you don't double against just about anything. The particular indices depend on the count you are using.
Agreed. When you decide on a particular count you wish to use, and take the time to learn the indices of that particular you'll know exactly which hands to stop doubling down on, and at what count.

21gunsalute said:
If the count is that negative you probably should be sitting out and not playing.
Often not a viable option in a pitch game.

The indices to hit instead of double on 9 vs. 3 and 10 vs. 9 aren't that negative, they're kind of useful plays. They make you look like a really weak player too.

daddybo said:
I am using high/low counting. I was also wondered if you might have any links for basic strategy charts that deviates when the count is negative?

FreeStyle

Automatic Monkey said:
Often not a viable option in a pitch game.

The indices to hit instead of double on 9 vs. 3 and 10 vs. 9 aren't that negative, they're kind of useful plays. They make you look like a really weak player too.

Thanks for pointing this out.

daddybo

dacent52 said:
I am using high/low counting. I was also wondered if you might have any links for basic strategy charts that deviates when the count is negative?
What I Hate One-Seven said! :laugh: You need the book anyway.

shinyam

dacent52 said:
dacent52, there is a chart that tells you when you should double and split, according to the counts. Basically, how to deviate from basic strategy according to the counts.

When the count is high, you should double and split more, and when the count is negative, you do less.

You can find charts that tell you all the possible scenarios, but there is a list of the most important ones, called the Illustrious 18.

Here is a link to it: http://jay.purplewire.com/blackjack/ill18.html (Archive copy)