Why Blackjack players are actually athletes

The typical stigma of a gambler is someone who smokes, drinks, and is irresponsible with money. When the average person thinks of a gambler the last thing they think of is an athlete.
Here's why they're wrong: Let's start with the definition of a sport, which is:" an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Blackjack and other gambling games fit the description perfectly. When you're sitting at a BJ table you are competing against the dealer. Now, a common rebuttal would be " But John, playing Blackjack involves no physical activity." That is just completely wrong. Have you ever sat at a blackjack table for 5, 10, 20 hours? I have and I can tell you, it's no picnic. It takes a lot of physical stamina and endurance do sit at a table for so many hours. Your glut muscles have to be in impeccable condition to withstand that kind of abuse. I have had times where I have been sitting at the BJ table for 10, 20 hours straight and I have had some of the dealers tell me that I should "go home," "go get some rest," "go get a bite to eat then come back" or my personal favorite "to quit while you're ahead." The reason the dealers say this is because they can see the pain in my eyes, like the pain you would see in a professional marathon runner"s eyes if he were to be on his 10th mile but just keeps going.
Furthermore, this is 2K18 people, chess is recognized as a sport by the Olympics even though it's not featured as a sport right now. E-sports is a thing now, where kids who play Overwatch and other video games are celebrated as athletes so YES, BJ and gambling is a sport and YES I do consider myself a "jock."

No. BJ is a sport but it does not require ANY physical skills. So AP's, gamblers, etc are not athletes. They call it an athletic body for a reason. I'm sure some of us who play are fit, but as your question asks no, it doesn't make them athletes. I mean at best BJ is nothing more than a athletic facial grimacing activity. Playing BJ isn't going to get you into shape. :rolleyes:

JJP

Athletes, or performers? Before I start playing, sometimes I get a little bit nervous. Not severe, just enough to get more focused. I played baseball thru high school, and before a game, most of the time I would get a slight anxiousness. I realize now it was a positive, and a trigger for adrenaline. Yet if I go to the track and push a couple thousand in handle thru the windows, there's no nervousness. But the difference is in horse betting or sports betting, all you can do is make the wager. In blackjack, we not only make the wager, but the decision which impacts our wager.