bankroll

ScottH said:
I'm still not saying I believe he is certainly ready to go pro right now, but he isn't diving into Vegas without a clue like some people thought after his post.
If you've never been to Vegas, you don't have a clue. Vegas is to an ordinary city what an 8-ball of crank is to a cup of coffee.

Look when I was 21 I knew it all too, but I'm going to give it to you both with the bark on- the actual play is one of the easiest parts of being an AP, and a guy with only 30 hours experience at the table doesn't even have enough experience for that part. Maybe supercoolman was always the smartest kid in his class- but guess what- most of the rest of us here were too. And I can almost see everyone rolling their eyes when they hear someone say "it's easy." It is not easy, for anyone. Counting comes easily for some, and it did for me. You need proficiency in a ton of other things too, starting with table comportment and ending with defending yourself against the army of scoundrels in Vegas who are as skilled at separating young men from a pocket full of money as you are at blackjack.

EasyRhino

Don't forget the crackhead tranny prostitutes.

My stepdad ended up in a long conversation with one outside his hotel when he was last there for a convention.

Kasi

ScottH said:
His post about what he is going to do was very vague and sounded like he didn't have a plan. The reason is because he has never been to Vegas,
It sure was and it sure did.

So what he's never been to Vegas. Ask him, you know, just on the off chance he thinks might encounter a SD game with basic rules, or a DD game with rules you can expect, or even a 6D or 8D game, you know with or without LS, what he would plan to do with whatever bankroll it is he's willing to lose. Let's not get into penetration levels.

And then ask him what his unit size would be, at what count (while you're at it ask him what counting system he will be using) he will spread to how much, whether he's planning playing all or back-counting, and if so, at what count will he wong-in with what bet and spread, and, after he tells you, ask him what are the chances of him losing that bankroll given those spreads and bankroll and if he's comfortable with that.

Ask him when he will re-size his bankroll to how much. I guess that's when he will bet on the Laker game to get it all back.

Ask him if anything would change if he can't find a $10 table and now his bankroll has to support a different minimum bet and perhaps different spread.

You really think figuring all that out will happen in Vegas after he gets there?

Since you know him, is he even close to having his 10K-15K roll or is all this just for later after he saves it from the big bucks being a rocket scientist pays?

And this is a guy who did "insanely bad" on his math SAT's? I thought he knew everything there is to know.

For God's sake at least bet like u have a $5k bankroll and see if win rates happen as expected.

Thanks Monkey for giving the fastball down the middle - at least I know I'm not alone :)

Not that we have a chance of saving one soul. Maybe ScottH does.

Xenophon

This thread is something else.

supercoolmancool said:
First of all, thanks everyone for the fantastic posts. This is just the kind of advice I am looking for. I am just not going to worry about Las Vegas crime or living in the wrong part of town. When I do searches there seems to be a great number of affordable nice looking Vegas apartments in many different parts of town. Not that I would ever use them, but I do have professional mixed martial arts skills so I don't expect anyone to give me too much trouble not that I would fight anyone if they did.

It's not going to be a hard life. It will be infinitely easier than like a rocket scientist or whatever else I would do. The only reason I want to be a pro gambler is because it is so easy. If it were really hard then I would just be a rocket scientist like everyone else. I plan on going much further than KO, shuffletracking, cut card, mainly pulling tricks not written in books. I have decided not to grind it out and deal with the ups and downs of fluxuations, but instead to focus on much larger advantage plays.

I wish I could, but this is my ultimate number one super secret weapon. This is my "swis army knife". This is my ticket to the good life. This is so incredible so amazing that I would be beyond insane to mention it on a messageboard. You don't want this kind of thing to enter into the consiousness of man. I understand that it is not fair of me to say this and then not let you know so I will tell anyone my secret if they private message me simply because the nature of my secret really parallels shuffle tracking in that I can tell the few people that PM me with almost no chance of anyone actually pulling it off so it's like good relations with almost no risk, but I'm not going to tell thousands of people on the internet.
supercoolmancool said:
I have about 40 hours of counting experience with KO.

Those kinds of things you have to deal with when they come up. I've never been to Vegas so I don't really know exactly what they got. I really plan on having just a $100 max bet and then I'll decide about wonging, spreading, units ect on the fly in game. That's the only way. You have to react to those things and not plan ahead. I'm flexible. Ready for anything.

Those things are too random. I plan to use KO for counting and Hi Lo for advanced techniques. I hardly plan on counting at all. Since I'll live in Vegas I can bet on sports too. I'm really a jack of all trades. I'm really good at everything.

Everything I touch turns to gold. I guess I don't need to prove myself here but hey I'm the real deal if there ever was one.

I'm prepared for cover. They will never catch me. They have no chance. Cover was my original fear. That was the only thing that stopped me from being pro other than being under 21. But cover is no longer a concern. I've eliminated it.
This person is like six standard deviations to the right on anything and everything. All these responses sound like they're straight out of some Ben Stiller movie. I read on another forum where he states that there's "no limit to what he can remember," in reference to sequencing. I'm just wondering, is supercoolmancool legitimate? :)

shadroch

Come on. Ben Stiller is a genius.This is more like a bad Adam Sandler movie,or is that a redundency?
Small town boy from South Dakota goes to Vegas,armed only with his professional mixed martial arts skills and his secret plan. Whats not to love?:joker:

I am not close to $15-$20K, but I should have it by the end of the summer and if not I will be really close. And yes, I can memorize unlimited amounts of information insanely quickly without the need for continuous review. And yes, I realize I have said a ton of incredibly stupid things in this thread. Sorry.

ChefJJ

supercoolmancool said:
I am not close to $15-$20K, but I should have it by the end of the summer and if not I will be really close. And yes, I can memorize unlimited amounts of information insanely quickly without the need for continuous review. And yes, I realize I have said a ton of incredibly stupid things in this thread. Sorry.
Not that your existence depends on what people have to say around here, but you post and expect our posts in return...so, you've gotta admit that you and your alter ego ScottH have been extremely cocky for "theorists" and not "applied scientists". You guys seem like you should know the difference there. That being said, I don't think anyone wants anyone to personally fail around here--but at least take the sound advice to make a PLAN. Granted, that's the basis for how I earn my money in life, but planning is essential.

good luck

supercoolmancool said:
But you do have some bankroll now, right? And did you know that for a guy with your bankroll and your skills, some of the best games are right in your own backyard?

Sometimes I take a dedicated trip to a gaming venue where I do nothing but play blackjack. Where do you think I went first, Minnesota or Las Vegas?

SystemsTrader

supercoolmancool said:
Thanks. That sounds like incredible advice. Is it safe to say that everyone agrees with Shadroch?
I agree with setting your aprox. expenses aside for say six months, but I don't agree with the starting bankroll. $15,000 just won't cut it. With a bankroll that small you will be shutting yourself out of playing many good games. A lot of the good games will have $25,$50,or $100 minimums and 15k won't be enough to play those games with a safe ror. You will be forced to play lower quality games with lower EV's. Many times throughout my playing career I've run across 3 month losing streaks. What if you start off with that happening then the pressure is really going to start to build and let's say after three months your account is down to 8k, now you will be stuck playing at Slots-of-Fun only with their $1 and $2 minimum games. You will hardly be making enough from the gambling to have an enjoyable standard of living. I would suggest if you are serious you should try to put together a 50k bankroll if you want to be a pro gambler. I know its a lot of money and most will probably disagree with me but 50K will allow you to play better games and earn a higher dollar per hour and you can assume much less risk in doing so and you will be able to safely handle the inevitable down swings without sacrificing your playing style. Just out of curiousity SuperCool are you a disciple of "Robert Kiyosaki"?

SystemsTrader said:
I agree with setting your aprox. expenses aside for say six months, but I don't agree with the starting bankroll. $15,000 just won't cut it. With a bankroll that small you will be shutting yourself out of playing many good games. A lot of the good games will have $25,$50,or $100 minimums and 15k won't be enough to play those games with a safe ror. You will be forced to play lower quality games with lower EV's. Many times throughout my playing career I've run across 3 month losing streaks. What if you start off with that happening then the pressure is really going to start to build and let's say after three months your account is down to 8k, now you will be stuck playing at Slots-of-Fun only with their $1 and $2 minimum games. You will hardly be making enough from the gambling to have an enjoyable standard of living. I would suggest if you are serious you should try to put together a 50k bankroll if you want to be a pro gambler. I know its a lot of money and most will probably disagree with me but 50K will allow you to play better games and earn a higher dollar per hour and you can assume much less risk in doing so and you will be able to safely handle the inevitable down swings without sacrificing your playing style. Just out of curiousity SuperCool are you a disciple of "Robert Kiyosaki"?
$50k...that could take a while, but I guess it will be worth my time. I don't know. I have a while to think about it on account to it will take me a while to come up with.

And I read Retire Rich Retire Young by Robert Kiyosaki, and I am a disciple of only his philosophy on account of the fact that I have not bought any real estate, trading any stocks, or started any businesses. Buy yah I think Kiyosaki has some real good views on working at a job.

ScottH

Kasi said:
And this is a guy who did "insanely bad" on his math SAT's? I thought he knew everything there is to know.
Just a hunch, but I'm sure he knows more about math than you do, considering he is a math major. He knows more than I do now, and I did "insanely good" on my math ACT.

ScottH

21forme said:
I'll bet you didn't do so insanely "well" on the English portion :grin:
Actually I was 98%ile in English. So I guess 98% of the people who took that test are "stupider" at English than I am!

ScottH

ChefJJ said:
but at least take the sound advice to make a PLAN. Granted, that's the basis for how I earn my money in life, but planning is essential.
OK, I'm just curious as to who came up with the idea that we wouldn't have a plan.

It's also funny how several -EV players are even chiming in here... (I don't need to mention who)

ChefJJ

ScottH said:
OK, I'm just curious as to who came up with the idea that we wouldn't have a plan.
Not sure if anyone came up with the idea that you wouldn't have a plan...the advice is that you should have one. If you do, then check--that's one thing off the list.

And always, good luck...you'll need it more than you think.

ChefJJ

ScottH said:
It's also funny how several -EV players are even chiming in here... (I don't need to mention who)
For whoever that it aimed at, that's some funny smack. I like the term "EV"...it's like potential for a draft pick. Of course, for professional BJ players (which I am definitely not), is that the true measure? How about HOW MUCH YOU'VE NETTED?!?

good luck

Totally, there is a lot of valuable information embedded in this thread, and for that, I thank you fine posters of Blackjackinfo.com.

Having said that, honestly, I just want this thread to die now.

Now if you'll excuse me I have some math proof that need writing.

Last edited:

Brutus

EasyRhino said:
Don't forget the crackhead tranny prostitutes.

Thats just the beginning of it.

If you cats want my opinion, I would recommend going for a vacation with a small roll, and get your feet wet. THEN tell us what life in Vegas is all about.

There is very little glamor about it all.

ScottH

ChefJJ said:
Not sure if anyone came up with the idea that you wouldn't have a plan...the advice is that you should have one. If you do, then check--that's one thing off the list.

And always, good luck...you'll need it more than you think.
I know that's what you were saying (I wasn't referring to you), but it seems like everyone thinks he was going to go in and just "see what happens". I was just wondering where that came from.

CheffJJ said:
For whoever that it aimed at, that's some funny smack. I like the term "EV"...it's like potential for a draft pick. Of course, for professional BJ players (which I am definitely not), is that the true measure? How about HOW MUCH YOU'VE NETTED?!?
Actually, I do think EV is more important than how much money you have netted. A martingale player who is -EV may have made more than a +EV counter after x amount of hours, but that doesnt mean they are better or will make more in the long run. A -EV player who has made a ton of money is not better than a +EV player that has lost money.