3,4,A H or S

psyduck

A6J is no longer a soft 17 (because it is not 7 when A is counted as 1). It is an as hard as it can get 17 and that is why you should stay.

sabre

politcat said:
soft 17 is a hit (or dd on 3-6) so A,6,J is a hit too cuz you stick with BS even after hitting
Please don't take offense, but if you are having this much trouble with basic strategy ... you aren't going to be able to understand more complex things like count systems, index plays, betting spreads, risk of ruin, bankroll management, etc.

Card counting isn't for everyone. In fact it's for very few people. I don't think you're one of them.

psyduck

sabre said:
Card counting isn't for everyone. In fact it's for very few people. I don't think you're one of them.
That is too early an conclusion. Everyone needs to learn how to crawl before how to walk. With determination, a mind can do amazing things.

politcat

sabre said:
Please don't take offense...
no problem, i'm a big boy. I know how it appears but I still post cuz I read conflicting info. I'm not really having much trouble at all. after memorizing A,7 the rest is pretty simple. It's just CV was bugging me out insisting on standing A,6,J.

and as far as the rest of this thread is concerned, it's really only about how you treat your hand after you hit

like psyduck, you seem to be implying that after the hit you don't follow BS.

as others here have said, in the color of blackjack daniel dravot says you should always stick with BS after the hit or until the count dictates otherwise

politcat

psyduck said:
A6J is no longer a soft 17 (because it is not 7 when A is counted as 1). It is an as hard as it can get 17 and that is why you should stay.
I guess that makes sense since you can only treat it as a 1 here

psyduck

politcat,

A soft hand means A is counted as 11 and a hard hand refers to A counted as 1. So if you start with A6, you should hit because it is soft 17. Once you receive a J, now you have A6J and you stay because it is now a hard 17 (or a soft 27 if you like). A6J is equivalent to 7J and based on BS you stay.

Last edited:

politcat

yeah, that's a good explanation. Not unlike adding a 9 to my original 3,4,A...now i'd have a hard 17 and stand by BS

CV is correct. hehe

thx!