Advice on Hi-Lo

I am a recreational player who utilizes BS and use the Hi-Lo method where 3-6 is +1 and T's are -1. Is there an advantage to using the Hi-Lo method that also counts 2's (+1) and Aces (-1)?

I am going to Vegas in a couple of weeks with my wife for my anniversary. Again I am a recreational player, not a professional, but love the challenge that comes with counting (plus I don't like giving away money).

Any other advice would be great also. I really have enjoyed reading and learning more from the board.:)

johndoe

This count is called the Hi-Opt I. It's ok, but you will get much better results in shoe games with hi-lo. Hi-Opt I is more for single and double-deckers.

I'd say keep reading the stickies, and get some of the books recommended elsewhere on this site.

bj2I said:
I am a recreational player who utilizes BS and use the Hi-Lo method where 3-6 is +1 and T's are -1. Is there an advantage to using the Hi-Lo method that also counts 2's (+1) and Aces (-1)?
Yes - count the 2s and As in your primary count - its more accurate. zg

moo321

callipygian said:
Not spending time with your wife on your anniversary is a long term EV- move. :) Welcome to the boards and good luck on your trip.
Yeah, try to get a comp to the steakhouse for your anniversary. Nothing beats free dinner at a nice restaurant to convince her that counting is a good thing.

Oh yeah, and count the 2's and aces.

moo321

bj2I said:
Thanks for the advice. :) The wife plays with me some of the time (that can be bad on the bankroll).
Tell her how to play. Have her sit next to you, and ask whenever she doesn't know how to play a hand.

itakeyourmoney

bj2I said:
Thanks for the advice. :) The wife plays with me some of the time (that can be bad on the bankroll).
The money your wife loses (or wins) shouldn't be considered part of your blackjack bankroll, it's separate money that is used simply to make her happy so you can get laid :devil:

cc218

itakeyourmoney said:
The money your wife loses (or wins) shouldn't be considered part of your blackjack bankroll, it's separate money that is used simply to make her happy so you can get laid :devil:
that's one way to look at it. I tend to look at it like Worm in "Rounders" though, "in the poker game of life, women are the rake"

Last edited: