Be careful when coloring up

Thunder

Make sure you never ever have chips enter the betting circle when you're coloring up. I had what almost turned into a disastrous situation, happen to me. The TC had dropped quite a bit so I said I'm coloring up and pushed some of my chips out towards the dealer with each hand pushing out a lot of chips. Right after I did this the dealer started dealing and was about to deal me when I said wwwaiiitttt a second!!!! She then ignored me and pushed back the chips my left hand had pushed up but left the chips my right hand had pushed up which were touching the betting circle. I told her I was coloring up. She said I was "too late" and was getting ready to deal me the card as if I was wagering half of my chips almost! This got me pretty pissed in a hurry and I said to her quite loudly that I said I was coloring up and started doing so before she even dealt. Well she disagreed and basically was calling me a liar. So I called the pitboss to explain the situation and apparently the dealer must be brain dead because I was telling her, why would I suddenly bet half of my chips when I've been pretty consistent in my betting the whole time? The dealer just refused to acknowledge that fact and kept arguing to the pitboss that I didn't say I was coloring. I then said, well tell you what. I'll bet you $400 that I did say I was coloring up and did start to push my chips out before you started dealing. You can verify it by looking at the tape. This quickly shut the dealer up and since the card was never in fact dealt to me, I guess I convinced the pitboss enough to allow me to color up. I would have been absolutely livid had they forced me to take the cards and lost!

sabre

I'd guess that the dealer was pissed off at you for some reason. Probably not tipping enough (since no decent AP could ever tip "enough" for your average dealer without crippling their edge).

I suppose you could proclaim loudly your intention of coloring up, but still let her deal you the first card. If it's a 9/T/A, dummy up. If it's a 2-8, make enough of a scene that she can't continue dealing past your card. The chance of the pit forcing you to play a crappy starting card is probably low enough to be worth taking.

kewljason

This is another reason why I like to buy in for small amounts as needed rather than always having a pile of chips in front of me. Less color ups and quick get aways without color ups. :)

kewljason

Thunder said:
Not my fault I won a lot and the count never reached <-1 the time I was at that table lol. Oh wait it is, nm!
No not at all. Sometimes you just win a lot and color up can't be avoided. I so hate when that happens. :grin:

Speedy99

Not to highjack the thread but since the title says it all I was wondering....?

When coloring up how often do you catch the dealer trying to short you..? One store I play at has tried to short me a black chip twice when coloring up in the last month or so diff dealers ect but makes me wonder......I dont trust them that much I hope everyone always counts there chips...? :eek:

Canceler

My pet peeve regarding this: When you buy in and the dealer gives you your chips by placing them all in the betting circle. I guess that’s supposed to be entertaining, but to me it’s not funny at all. :(

Speedy99 said:
When coloring up how often do you catch the dealer trying to short you..?
I color up only in even hundreds. If they try to give me something other than black chips, I demand a recount.

Sometimes the dealer will want me to push them the whole stack, advising me that they will count them for me. I just say I like to count them myself.

kewljason

21forme said:
Bet a green and get paid in red.
really? they usually do the opposite with me. I bet 6 greens and win, they give me 2 blacks and take two green. I figure they are trying to entice me to bet up, but of course it doesnt work. lol I bet what I want. sometimes right after they do this, I will give them 2 blacks and ask for green. That usually puts an end to it. I would think breaking down ur bet or coloring down, intices you to bet smaller. why would they want that?

21forme

I don't see a problem with that. The dealer breaks everything down into piles of 5 reds, 4 greens, 5 blacks, etc. It's easy to see the total. The PC is always there to verify it and more often than not, if there's a mistake (in either direction) the PC corrects the dealer before I have to say a word.

Meistro

"no way. People actually do that? "

I do it alot, although I shouldn't. You should be VERY careful when dealers are coloring you up during a payout, this is (in my inexpert opinion) the biggest opportunity for dealer error going against you. You could, and probably should insist that you get paid the exact colours you bet. That's probably house policy in a lot of places anyway, as it seems to be the default of almost all the dealers I have encountered.