betting strategy

supercoolmancool

I don't understand exactly why card counting systems have betting ramps. In those strategies you bet porportonally to the advantage you have. You bet less when you have less of an advantage. But would'nt you have a higher EV if you just bet your max bet whenever you have the advantage kind of like in KO rookie? Are betting strategies used to minimize risk of ruin or as a cover instead of optimizing EV?

E-town-guy

If as soon as you had the advantage, say TC of +2 (or +1 at a good game) you could bet table max. That would give you a greater EV but also a huge ROR unles you adjusted your BR accordingly. As the count climbs even higher you could spread to more than one square as well.

Mikeaber

We ramp our bets according to the advantage that we have, with the most at risk (highest bet) when we have the most advantage. Taken down to the bare meat of the matter, you lose more 2-unit bets than you do 5-unit bets. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work though I have to admit that here lately, I've been losing a heck of a lot of those large bets!

Cass

supercoolmancool said:
I don't understand exactly why card counting systems have betting ramps. In those strategies you bet porportonally to the advantage you have. You bet less when you have less of an advantage. But would'nt you have a higher EV if you just bet your max bet whenever you have the advantage kind of like in KO rookie? Are betting strategies used to minimize risk of ruin or as a cover instead of optimizing EV?
Yes the Ev is higher, but your ROR goes up a lot. Bankroll would need to be a lot bigger to tolerate more violent swings when you are betting so much with such a small advantage. It could be for cover too. I think if you were betting $5 and then bumped it to $50 it would much more suspicious than a typical "gambler" betting everything in between.

Cass

Mikeaber said:
We ramp our bets according to the advantage that we have, with the most at risk (highest bet) when we have the most advantage. Taken down to the bare meat of the matter, you lose more 2-unit bets than you do 5-unit bets. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work though I have to admit that here lately, I've been losing a heck of a lot of those large bets!
I'm pretty sure you win the same % of hands at higher counts as you do as very negative counts. The difference is that you win a much higher % of blackjacks and doubledowns!! For example when the count is really high and you are dealt a 15 or 16.. Dealer is showing a 10...bad deal, but happens a lot You are going to lose a lot higher % of these in high counts!

ScottH

supercoolmancool said:
This is just like my my first question on the message board. You would pretty much be guaranteed of going broke unless you had a really large bankroll. As Ken told me when I asked this question, you're looking for Kelly-Betting. If you have a 1% advantage, the most you would want to bet is 1% of your BR. Most people use a fraction of the Kelly Bet to reduce the ROR.

Also, a system with only two bets, min and max creates more heat than bet ramping does.

ScottH

supercoolmancool said:
This is just like my first question on the message board. You would pretty much be guaranteed of going broke unless you had a really large bankroll. As Ken told me when I asked this question, you're looking for Kelly-Betting. If you have a 1% advantage, the most you would want to bet is 1% of your BR. Most people use a fraction of the Kelly Bet to reduce the ROR.

Also, a system with only two bets, min and max creates more heat than bet ramping does.

E-town-guy

Cass said:
I'm pretty sure you win the same % of hands at higher counts as you do as very negative counts.
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to win a higher % of hands, not just more double downs. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this.