Beware: Forum Virgin

Depressing...

EasyRhino said:
Wong's not wrong, there's just a misunderstanding.

"standard bet size" is also sometimes called a "unit". For beginner purposes, it's your minimum bet. A win rate or 1 or 2 units per hour is common. The max bet is a multiple of the unit. Let's say 10x, or $250.

And to suppot this, you're talking about a bankroll of $20k-$25k.

Depressing isn't it?
Yes, it is.

zengrifter said:
Nice vid ZG. Truly imbecilic this man was/is.

My favorite part: the interviewer asked him, "There's a chapter devoted to 'double-up theory'. What's that?" Oliver says, "Uhhh, it's really simple. I just came up with it", and proceeds to explain how it works. That's funny, I just read about a very similar progression on pg. 196 of The World's Greatest Blackjack Book by Humble & Cooper. That was published in 1980. But maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Moron.

Alrighty then Zen, I passed the test, now give me something of value. "What say you?"

PS - How do you guys get those quotes at the bottom of your posts? I reckon you must not type it e'erytime!

Shwam

nofoolin said:
Yes, it is.

Nice vid ZG. Truly imbecilic this man was/is.

My favorite part: the interviewer asked him, "There's a chapter devoted to 'double-up theory'. What's that?" Oliver says, "Uhhh, it's really simple. I just came up with it", and proceeds to explain how it works. That's funny, I just read about a very similar progression on pg. 196 of The World's Greatest Blackjack Book by Humble & Cooper. That was published in 1980. But maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Moron.

Alrighty then Zen, I passed the test, now give me something of value. "What say you?"

PS - How do you guys get those quotes at the bottom of your posts? I reckon you must not type it e'erytime!
Same as any other forum, it's called a signature. Click User CP in the top left and edit signature.

SPX

Sonny said:
Yes, there are lots of people. Most of them just use it as a hobby or to earn some supplemental income. It’s not something that most people can make a living from.

This is something I've read many times on here. So I have to wonder, is there ANYONE here who supports themselves completely and solely from their blackjack winnings? And if so, is there anyone who consistently has an annual return of, say, $100,000+?

I do sometimes think it's funny that everyone talks about "advantage play" and how great blackjack is but it seems that virtually no one is motivated to be the next Ken Uston or to put together the next big team.

As you say, most are hobbyists, but who is legitimately shooting for the stars?

Proof is in the puttin': puttin' money in your pocket!!

SPX said:
This is something I've read many times on here. So I have to wonder, is there ANYONE here who supports themselves completely and solely from their blackjack winnings? And if so, is there anyone who consistently has an annual return of, say, $100,000+?

I do sometimes think it's funny that everyone talks about "advantage play" and how great blackjack is but it seems that virtually no one is motivated to be the next Ken Uston or to put together the next big team.

I feel ya, chief; but you may need to start a new thread/post, b/c there may not be enough people still looking at this one. Drop me a line if you do; I'd love to read it!!

SPX said:

I think that after counters win that much money, they just become authors. Although, the smartest one's probably just become authors without ever making $100K.

SPX, there are some us fools out here trying to reach for the stars, trying to support a household by playing a frigging card game. I have an excuse though, "I'm nuts."

Bojack1

SPX said:

My principal income has come from blackjack, although recently certain aspects in my life have generated at least equal income as well. This is no hobby to me. Its work, not that I don't enjoy it, but I can't afford to be as casual about it as most. I will admit I play much less now than I have in the past, but since I am the largest investor in my team I will always receive an income as long as the team plays.

As far as monetary amounts, the income has been quite good. Better then many would imagine. But I have done it with a lot of outside help in the beginning as far as bankroll and training, and with no financial or family ties to be concerned with. Most do not get opportunities like that, so its almost impossible to pull off blackjack as a full time high paying job.

As far as the next Ken Uston, no thanks. The real Ken Uston was not quite what the legend tells.